Some Questions

Patchworker

I ordered the Orchid and am now making sure I understand this whole crazy process! I downloaded the instructions and read them through and also looked over Nancy Van Horn's book. I think I understand how to start with the prep work, but can someone reassure me that I have this right?

First, I dryfit the pieces together to see how everything fits, and then take it apart.

Then I sand, sand, and sand some more.

Next I prime everything, except what I want to varnish.

Then I paint, wallpaper, etc.

Okay, that's all I'll worry about for now!

Anything to add, or any advice on these steps? Thanks so much! I've learned a whole lot already by reading through the forums.

First, I dryfit the pieces together to see how everything fits, and then take it apart.
It helps to do any sanding/ fitting adjustments while you put the house into dry-fit. I usually leave it in dry-fit whilst I listen to it tell me what all it wants.

Then I sand, sand, and sand some more.
...and fill

Next I prime everything, except what I want to varnish.
Unless you want to stain anything. I usually wait on the priming until I've begun assembling (with glue), unless the dry-fit indicates a place I'd better decorate first.

Then I paint, wallpaper, etc
Sometimes I do this before actually gluing the parts together, depends on how hard it'll be to reach once it's together.

Sounds like you have a good grasp on how to start. Take your time and take frequent breaks. Think about where you want the walls before you glue them in. A half an inch can make all the difference sometimes. Decide if you want your stairs front to back or back to front. I like mine front to back. Are you going to electrify it?

I don't think I'm going to electrify. I figure I'll save that skill for a future project. I don't want to bite off too much at once!

I'm considering leaving the stairs off. Since it's a small house, I think I might want the extra room.

You want to use wood glue for the body of the house. I do that and then I use tacky glue for everything else. I only use hot glue for the shingles on the roof.

Have lots of tape to tighten your sections together while the glue dries. Clamps are good too as well as books, cans of tomatos, etc.

You will do great. Dont hesitate to ask questions. We are here to help.