Went to the Anaheim, CA miniature show today. . .

Paige and I went on a girls' trip today to the Anaheim Miniature show. This was both our first miniature show. It was pretty small, maybe 20 vendors or so. There was some beautiful work but it was so expensive!!! I realize that it is mostly hand made items and that you pay for people's workmanship and time, but I was in a little bit of sticker shock. The people were nice and Paige talked to all the vendors who kept giving her stuff (tell the lady you want the handmade brass bed, Baby!!! :) ). What's funny is that Paige would see something just beautiful and say, "Mommy, we could make that! Remember what that looks like! Should we take a picture?" I finally had to tell her that while true, she should probably whisper such thoughts in order not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Bottom line is that we didn't buy much, but got a lot of eye candy. We finished off our day with lunch and a trip to Mott's Miniatures, where I bought supplies to electrify Paige's Cardinal House. Oh, she did get a beautiful tea set for her house at the show, which was very reasonably priced.

It is wonderful that you are involving your daughter with the making of dollhouses. I can tell by what you wrote, her imanigination is allready the better for your efforts! I am quite sure that todays "enertainment" directed at our children (vidio games and the like) do not encourage the creative side of the mind.

From my experance, the people with a good imaniganation will be a winner at what ever they chose to do in life.

Kevin

I'm not very skilled at making stuff, but I suspect lots of the folks here do exactly what your daughter did (only maybe a bit more circumspect) -- that is, examine the stuff, figure out how to make it on their own, and then go home and do just that! :wave: I know when I went to the dollhouse shows I had the same experience -- sticker shock!, then understanding that, if I had the skills, I could have made many of the items myself. While I really can't do that, I did remember some of the stuff I really liked, then shopped around elsewhere (on line) and found itmes nearly as nice..but for a lot less. Or sometimes, the same item turned out to be even MORE expensive on line!

I know I've spent more on my dollhouse stuff than I ever have on my real furniture!! :)

• 5 months later...

I was wondering if you could give me a heads up as to miniature shop locations in Aneheim. Do they have one?

I am taking my family to Disneyland and we stop and spend one day in Aneheim and my 11 year old daughter and myself would love to visit some miniature shops. Did you come across any there?

I remember from when I was a kid that the shops had lots of Danish painted miniatures (porcelin shoes, windmills, ect.) have they improved and now sell some authentic 1 /12 scale miniatures? Any chance of future dates for another show there?

Love to hear from you,

Monique and Alisha

I was wondering if you could give me a heads up as to miniature shop locations in Aneheim. Do they have one?

I am taking my family to Disneyland and we stop and spend one day in Aneheim and my 11 year old daughter and myself would love to visit some miniature shops. Did you come across any there?

I remember from when I was a kid that the shops had lots of Danish painted miniatures (porcelin shoes, windmills, ect.) have they improved and now sell some authentic 1 /12 scale miniatures? Any chance of future dates for another show there?

Love to hear from you,

Monique and Alisha

Hi-

You actually just missed the show in Anaheim- It was July 11 and 12, but no worries. It's a very small show and quite expensive.

The only miniature shop close to Disneyland is Mott's miniatures in Fullerton. Here is their website: http://www.minishop.com/dollhouses_mottshop.htm Don't get too excited at the picture. They've moved to another location and their inventory is nothing like the picture. But it is a mini shop and it's only a few minutes from Disneyland.

Hope that helps!