The Pierce

nottasha

Welcome to the forum, Chris, please drop by the Newcomers" subforum & introduce yourself! I personally have had nothing but grief from trying in vain to hang dh doors using those itsy bitsy #!%%*! hinges! I use strips of chamois or twill tape sandwished between the pieces of the door & the wall & the door trim, and in her

Team Coventry Cottage blog Peggi describes how to hinge a door using pins.

Chris, i used hinges from Miniatures.com on my Lily and although they look very pretty in the future they will be for looks only. I like the hinge pin and holly's chamois hinges much better for real working doors. Both methods are fairly easy but the pin hinge does take a little more time to align correctly.

Personally I dislike hinges very much for dollhouses......they are too bulky and ugly looking for my taste. I use sequin pins and pin hinge all my doors - or I use a strip of Tyvec which lasts forever for hinges. I much prefer the pin hinging method though. then I just make faux hinges with soft wire and glue them to where hinges would go...

Wolfie

My biggest problem with the little brass hinges are seating them so they don't bind with the brad heads, since just supergluing them they pop right off the first time the door is opened or closed. If the door is non-working I'm sure they'd look pretty, but you don't see much of even the barrell part, so why bother?

I usually pin-hinge my doors. On my Madison cottage I did hinge the door since there was only one. I had to gently and carefully remove small sections of wood to sink the hinges flush so they would work correctly. Very tedious work. Getting the hinges in the door itself, glued and nailed in, was easy. However, setting it into the doorframe was a total nightmare. Even though I have small hands and a light touch, it took forever to get it done!!

I'll stick with pin-hinges.

hi there,

may I ask what Tyvec is and where do u get it? I have been staining my staircase red mahogany and now it is time for polyurethyne, I have painted my front and side doors off the porch a maroon red and am polyurthyneing them as well, trying to keep the color good. I got wood flooring from manorhouse.com I believe it was. I can stain it and then cut it and lay it down. What did u use for the flooring? thank you Chris

hi there,

may I ask what Tyvec is and where do u get it? I have been staining my staircase red mahogany and now it is time for polyurethyne, I have painted my front and side doors off the porch a maroon red and am polyurthyneing them as well, trying to keep the color good. I got wood flooring from manorhouse.com I believe it was. I can stain it and then cut it and lay it down. What did u use for the flooring? thank you Chris

Tyvec is what Wolfie uses to hinge her doors. I use strips of chamois or else twill tape; I sandwish half the width of the strips between the two pieces of the door along one edge and I sandwish the other half between the wall and the doorway trim.

For flooring I have begun using the vinyl self-adhesive floorng from the Greenleaf store, but I have also split and used the siding strips and also I have scribed the "boards" directly into the plywood of the kit & stained it to achieve the effect.