Garfield Roof, etc.

Selkie

Still experimenting and learning ....

I'm making a single large home out of the Garfield and the Orchid.

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to make the Garfield roof completely removable?

I had this idea that the larger pieces might be able to be attached to a sort of cross shaped beam intersecting one another on the two longer straight sections and thus become totally removable. The dormers/gables could still be attached to those with the tabbed system. At least that's what I'm thinking. I haven't gotten there yet.

Since I'm making the two front walls and porch a removable unit so access is given to those front rooms, I thought I should make the front attic area available as well especially since the grandkids want to decorate (with oversight!!!) each of "their" rooms.

Another question, how do all of you hide the transformer for the electrical system? Any ideas are appreciated. It doesn't seem to fit under the foundation of the Garfield/Orchid combo I'm creating.

What type of turntable system is suggested to support the weight of the finished DH?

Thanks for sharing your expertise to a new member.

ShrlyHmLok

Well, I can't give you any pointers because I am planning on doing similar ideas on my Garf. I am splitting mine at the kitchen so that I can easily move it through doorways and around corners. I am also going to make the roof removeable, but only the back half for access to those hard to reach places.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for you.

As for the transformer, I think most people do not mount them on the house. Most of these houses do not have the space to mount it. If you check out my gallery, I am building a base for the Garfield. It is large and heavy but I intend for it to be more like a table. It will also be landscaped with outdoor mini stuff.

I'll be watching your progress though!

how do all of you hide the transformer for the electrical system?...It doesn't seem to fit under the foundation of the Garfield/Orchid combo I'm creating.
I am building a base for the Garfield. It is large and heavy but I intend for it to be more like a table. It will also be landscaped with outdoor mini stuff.
Well,there's my suggestion; build a custom base with elevated sides, you can make a cut-out at the back fo the base to access the transformer(s) and where the base may be larger than the footprint of the house you could landscape it a bit (what a neat alternative project for all thos grands!)

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I looked at the gallery shots of UVsaturated and that one of the stairway is especially helpful, as I've been messing around with the idea of replacing it with a higher grade one. That pic shows the original in a good perspective for what I was trying to alter.

When you come up with your removable roof plans, please let me know. I'm thinking of using liquid nails and the metal corner material for sheetrock as the cross pieces.

Great thoughts on the transformer and landscaping. I'm not far enough along to have even envisioned anything for that yet, just that I want to add it.

The best thing I've learned in the two days I've been a member of the forum is that I guess I should plan further out than the moment at hand. Some of you have all your decorating plans laid out well before the foundation is built !!

Any other interior shots of the Garfield or the Orchid would be appreciated. I'm not sure how to get to all the gallerys yet. Sometimes it pulls up a WebShot page that says it's busy and to try again later. Perhaps I'm not going to the right place yet.

Have a great weekend.

ShrlyHmLok