1:12 scale Crochet

Missymew

Hi Susanne,

You need a steel crochet hook, size 1 or smaller ( the bigger the number the smaller the hook). The hook size will be determined primarily by the wieght of the thread you are working with. Make a sample and then adjust the hook accordingly. The most common mistake I've seen is using too big of a hook and getting a loopy item.

Just relate the steel hooks to regular hooks - if you need a size B hook in real world stuff, you need to start with a 15-12 in steel and if you need a K I would start with a 1 or 2.

Another tip - stiff threads (some cottons with glossy finishes) are hard to work with because they will not drape or flow enough for 1/12 - you really don't want an afghan that can stand on it's own.....Rayon threads drape beautifully!

If I can help any more, please feel free to holler!

Carol

Coats and Clarks learn to crochet/knit kits are pretty good. I've used them in teaching classes at the local community college.

Most importantly, look for a book with BIG CLEAR pictures. The more angles of the hands at work the better.

And no matter what the book, or anyone else tells you - Hold the hook in a way that feels comfortable to YOU! Akward will pass... uncomfortable doesn't!

Carol

And no matter what the book, or anyone else tells you - Hold the hook in a way that feels comfortable to YOU! Akward will pass... uncomfortable doesn't!

This is so true, my mil tried for years to teach me, but I couldn't do it her way because I couldn't hold the hook the same way, I learned from a book same way with knitting, watching and trying to hold the needles like others wouldn't work for me. I look real funny crocheting because in order to keep my tension right, I always have a finger sticking out feeding the thread/yarn. LOL But it works for me.

Peggi

You will give up if it is uncomfortable

This is so true, my mil tried for years to teach me, but I couldn't do it her way because I couldn't hold the hook the same way

I also agree. My mom and grandma both tried to show me how to hold the hook like they do. NO WAY. I can't do it. I had to find my own way that was comfortable and allowed me to keep my stitches even.

Single-strand embroidery floss makes lovely scale yarn & a size 12 or smaller (higher number) steel hook will work with regular sewing thread, too. 30 denier crochet cotton or tatting thread work for scale "rope".

I have made lovely mini carochet items using motives from some of the magazines like Magic Crochet. Dover Publicatons also publishes some nice reprints of classic crochet items ;)

There's a website (needles.com?) that has crochet hooks smaller than 14 as well as the tiny knitting pins.