Putting in Storybook Cottage Attic...

I'm doing the dry fit for this cottage today and I am stuck at the attic. I've read the instructions a hundred times but I'm obviously missing something. It says:

Insert the Attic Floor by sliding the front sill through the attic window opening of the Front Wall/Right at a 45 degree angle. The tilt of the Attic Floor must be higher on the left side and lower on the right as you are facing the front of the house...

First of all, when it says "as you are facing the front of the house", does that mean if I'm standing right in front of the porch or does that mean standing behind the house / back opening looking toward the front wall?

Second of all, after I manage to get the front sill through the front wall attic window, it won't slide down so that the small tabs will go into place. I'm really confused about how to get this floor to go into place properly and without breaking anything.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Hi Kim! Typically "facing the front of the house" means as if you're looking at the porch.

I haven't built the Storybook, so I'm not sure on your question, but Sherry did and asked the same or similar question. If you do an advanced search for "Storybook" by "Sherry", around the Sept-Nov timeframe of 2009 she was building it and she asked some questions.

Here's the one on the second floor.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...mp;hl=storybook

And another that looked useful

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...mp;hl=storybook

Good luck! :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

Kim, maybe reading some of the Team Coventry Cottage building blogs will help, since the second floor goes in the same way. I remember saying a few choice words until I got the sills to rotate correctly in the window openings.

I was stumped for a while too, but then it just clicked together. I'm working on this house, it's going to be "Cleo's" for my mom and it's a "lady's shop" with perfume, hats, jewelry, etc. Been making loads of perfume bottles; need to start on some of the other stuff.

Sorry, I'm not much help, but it does work, you just have to twist it just right.

Good luck on your build

Kathleen

I've never built this house but those are the strangest instructions I've ever seen. :rolleyes: I don't know how you would insert a floor by sliding it through a window. I guess it's possible because a lot of you have built this house. If I ever decide to try this one I'll have to ask for help too. :)

Pat, the upstairs windows have exterior sills that fit through the window openings to lock in the floor, so the windows' bottoms are at floor level. It doesn't look so strange with the Coventry Cottage, because the attic actually appears tall enough to work as a second floor; but in the Storybook Cottage the attic winds up considerably shorter. It was my first rehab (and NOT built with hot glue, just my luck, so no disassembly!) and I couldn't get it apart without destroying it, or I would have either moved that second floor down and make the interior 1:16, or moved it up and installed another floor between and made it 1:24.

Kim - did you get your floor into place? I found this to be a VERY tight fit, so once I got the dry-fit in place there was no way I was taking it out again. I had to get my teeny hammer and tap, tap, tap it into place on the front and both of the walls. It made glueing things together very tricky!

• 2 months later...

{so sorry for the late reply! After the dry fit, I had to put everything away for a few months because of life getting in the way, ha! So I'm just today getting around to gluing things together AND perusing this wonderful discussion forum again!}

Joannie, yes, I did finally get that attic floor into place! Hubs helped with the dry fit and it seems that the real trick is pulling the left and right walls away from attic floor tabs until things slide {are forced!} into place. I glued a lot of the main house parts together today and just knew I would break something, but it all came together. Whew! I hope that's the hardest part of this house! Going to try to attach a photo - ignore the part of the roof I put on just to see how it would look... it's not glued or time to install it now anyway...

post-5734-0-60056500-1303948605_thumb.jp

Edited by Little Rosey Posey

• 2 weeks later...

Getting those sills through the windows and everything into place WAS the hardest part of the Coventry Cottage for me, after that the rest of the house just went together. I'm SO glad it worked out OK for you!