Jump to content

Volunteer dead tree


I found this branch under some trees I planted years ago at our old house we recently moved away from, and it seemed to want to go with the old peeling paint Orchid.

  • Like 4

From the album:

Gothic Orchid

· 38 images
  • 38 images
  • 97 image comments

Photo Information

  • Taken with Apple iPhone 5s
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/20
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 250

Recommended Comments

WOW!!! Just wow!!! How did I miss this house? Just looked through all of the photos and it's really, really wonderful! You did a fabulous job on all of it! Would love to know how you did the exterior, because it looks spot on!


Link to comment

Love the exterior finishes. The mossy shingles are great, and I like how only a sliver is showing. What did you use as a roofing product?

Link to comment

Thank you so much! The exterior was a hodgepodge of techniques; I was experimenting. The siding is nothing but paint and stain; dark wood stain to make the wood look old and damp, and some leftover actual house paint and a small artist brush for the white. I made pencil lines 1/4 inch apart for clapboards and painted each one with a dry brush and a lot of splotches to get the peeling paint. The most helpful thing was to look at photos of old houses and try to make mine look the same. You really can't mess it up, because it's supposed to look messed up :)Then I randomly streaked on more dark stain to look like water damage. I lost the original roof shingles for this kit somewhere along the way, so I raided another kit that my daughter received as a child but never got built, a Willow (it's probably my next project; I'll have to do something else for the roof, lol). They were rectangular but too wide, from a photo of an old roof I liked, so I cut each one in half lengthwise. After they were glued on, I wet them repeatedly with dirty paint water, which made them darken and curl. Nothing like water to make realistic water damage! The moss is just green paint dabbed on with a very dry brush, trying to get more in places that would be damp. The chimney and foundation are egg carton bricks following several tutorials I found on this site and elsewhere - a magical technique! I looked at some old deteriorated brick to choose about 4 paint colors to dab on the bricks. (The actual colors were not at all the colors that you think brick is.) I used sanded grout for the mortar. Thank you for asking!

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...