victorias farmhouse windows

lynnsusan

I am building Victorias Farmhouse and I am at the installation of the windows in the instructions. I thought I read somewhere that I should hold off on putting in the windows until I put in the wallpaper. Is this correct, this is my first dollhouse and I am trying to do this the easy way. I wanted to put in electric and then wallpaper over. I also wanted to put in flooring, should I do this before adding the doors? I also am a bit confused over the instructions for the shingles. Should I put copper on the edges? If not the first line of shingles at the bottom of the roof, the instructions are not very clear, do I want to lay a whole shingle down so that it is flush with the edge?

I know I have been asking a million questions about this house, but I keep looking at everyones beautiful houses and hope that mine will turn out as well (at least half as well)!

thanks for any help you might have!!

Yes, wait to install the windows. Papering and painting a re much easier. You can paper right over the window holes and then cut out the window with a craft knife. No worries about trying to precut a window hole in the wallpaper.

Also, do the floors before the doors.

I agree with Amy, Paper before putting windows in.! and My Windows in this house are not glued in Yet.! They have a nice tight fit... so I have not glued yet.! I am now at building the doors.!

My Victorias Farmhouse has been a real nasty character with how she wanted decorated and done up.!

Kellee

Lynn, I always wait until the very last thing to install windows & doors, after all the decorating is done. I often dry-fit the windows & doors to trace around the trims when I'm using siding or a treatment that needs masking to make room for the door or window trim.

When I install shingles, I paint the roof a dark color and cut & glue strips of aluminum foil along the joints for "flashing". I begin at the roof edge and lay the first row of shingles to overlap the roof edge by approximately 1/8" (or slightly more, depends on how it looks). Then I lay a shingle over the top of the first row to see how much overlap I want, and make a light pencil mark on each side of the shingle where it laps the top edge of the first row, and a darker mark at the top of the shingle above the the first row; I then lay that shingle along the top edge of the first row, matching the light marks and marking along the top, across the first row, and then join the darker marks to get the alignment for the second row. I measure the interval between the top edge of the first row of shingles & the line above to get the intervals for the subsequent rows, which I then measure & draw across the roof.

For the angles where the different roof sections join I lay a piece of paper with one edge of the paper flush with the edge of the roof and crease it. I can then trace this angle onto the shingle that will fit into that corner.

I love to lay shingles, it's very relaxing.

• 2 months later...

Havanaholly,

I enjoyed your step by step instructions on the shingle layout. I could not follow it, so I printed out your plan to study it for my first dollhouse I am buying in January. I am concerned with shingles. I originaly was going to buy the North Park Mansion, but I changed my mind to buy the Bostonian as I like the room layout better for my intentions.

Lady Grey

• 3 weeks later...

I just read over what I posted. Ooog. Sorry.

Starting at one side of the lower edge of the roof gule your shingles in a strip across. For the rest of the rows lay a shingle over the first row with whatever overlap looks "right" to you and mark where the top edge of the shingle comes on the roof. Measure the distance from the top edge of the first row of shingles and the mark and draw a line across the roof. Measure up from that line the same distance to draw your other parallel lines.

To lay the second row of shingles, split one of your shingles vertically in half and glue it with the top edge even with the line you've drawn and the bottom on top of the top of the shingle on the row below and even at the roof side; it will come halfway. lay the rest of the row of whole shingles and when it's done you will see you have begun the staggered look of a shingled roof. Alternate your rows starting with either a whole or a half shingle going up the roof.

Is that any better?