Birthday bashed- literally!

eskimodog4

When beginning to write about "My First Dollhouse," I almost started talking about the Peaches 'n' Cream house my grandparents gave me for Christmas, which was probably "officially" my first totally finished, genuine 1/12 miniature house, but then I remembered that my sister, Heather, and cousin, Garland, made me a little wooden house for my 7th birthday from a kit from a craft store. The house was 2 stories and had 2 rooms on the 1st floor and a loft area above. The kit was really cheap and was probably around $20-30. At 7 yrs. I had a few miscellaneous pieces of furniture that my grandmother had given me (one that sticks out is a brass cradle that I still have) and I was constantly creating makeshift homes w/ cardboard and Scotch tape (to this day whenever someone can't find tape downstairs they wind up in my room), cutting out holes for windows and using old washcloths for carpeting and curtains. (Yup, I was lost to mini-fanaticism as a very young child- that's scary) My sister and cousin wanted to give me a real house, so they bought this kit and secretly built it in the garage- gave it 1 coat of some old, pinkish-rosy paint; they just put it together, and they must have used a hot glue gun, (when I built my 1st house, I was under the impression that a hot glue gun would do the trick, but then quickly realized that wood glue was the rule vs. the exception) b/c eventually the whole thing fell apart and it was discarded. Now, I'd give a lot of stuff to get that house back- I don't even think we have any pictures of it! Next weekend when I drive home I'll look b/c it's really bugging me now.

-Lauren

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lauren. :blink: Did you ever find any pictures of your house? I'd love to see them if you did. Even if the things we work on as adults are much nicer, I think I had a lot more unbridled creativity as a kid than I do now!

I still have my first house... it's much more primative than the others I've done since then but I can't bring myself to part with it!