Question about instructions

bmatson

Okay, boy will I ever be glad when I am done with these stairs!!!! :thumb:

Anyway. I have a question about the instructions. I have the 2nd floor stairs installed, and now I am doing the railings around the stair openings. For the 2nd floor railings, there is a long piece, a short piece, and a single piece. The long piece and the single piece form an "L" shape, while the short piece is parallel to the long piece on the other side of the opening. The instructions say to align "the long and short secions of the Second Floor Railing.....with the short section perpendicular to the back, left edge of the long section". So to me, this means to make the long section and the single section like an "L" shape, since that is how it will actually be installed in the house.

Okay great no problem.

But the problem comes in the next instruction when it says how to glue the corner posts on the long and short posts of the 2nd floor, which should make sense because that is the assembly that I have. However, in the next sentence, it says specifically to "find the single section" to do the corner posts on that. To me, this makes it seem that the instructions are really telling me to put the long & short sections together, even though they do not belong together at all!!!

I hope I have explained this in a way that is not too confusing. Have any of you who have done this house had this problem? Or am I just reading it wrong? :doh: Or are the instructions really goofy (I mean, after all, they DID tell me to use hot glue :wave: ) Anyway. I haven't actually glued any pieces together yet, because I really cannot figure this out! Please help!!!

--Betty

are you ready for the railings?

if not I would wait until you are ready to install and make sure you have all the peices of the railings...it can sometimes take a couple of different peices to make one.

as I have not done the staircase on the BH this is all I can suggest at this time.

as for the glue gun....plzz note that at one time Glue gun glue was a different quaility.

thats why you have us to help you along your way :wave: :thumb:

Happy Building

nutti :doh:

are you ready for the railings?

if not I would wait until you are ready to install and make sure you have all the peices of the railings...it can sometimes take a couple of different peices to make one.

Yes, I am at the point where I am ready to put the railings in. But like I said, I am waiting until I can figure these instructions out! :cheer:

I don't think the problem is that there are a lot of "undetermined" pieces, or that it takes several different pieces to make one. There are only the 3 pieces, but I feel the instructions are wrong. I just want verification from someone who's actually done it!!!

Anyway. Thanks for your help Nutti.

--Betty

Hi Betty,

I wasn't sure if I understood where you were in the construction of the second floor landing, so I took pictures of mine and posted them in the Gallery. I hope they help.

Roni

Hi Betty,

I wasn't sure if I understood where you were in the construction of the second floor landing, so I took pictures of mine and posted them in the Gallery. I hope they help.

Roni

Roni--

Thanks for the pics. I know that the long piece and the single piece are supposed to go together. I was just wondering why the instructions would say to put the long piece and the short piece together. Maybe I was reading it wrong???

But I have decided to just go ahead and put the pieces together that I know go together, despite what the instructions say. Even the picture in the instructions show the opposite pieces together as what they say!!!

Anyway. I am the type of person that has to understand why everything happens. So I guess that is why I have been trying to get to the bottom of things!!

--Betty

Betty,

As I am going back into the area of my mind filled with cobwebs, I kind of remember going through the same dilemma. I am the same way, everything has to be spelled out for me.

Good Luck,

Roni