old-fashioned linoleum??

newt

just wondering ...

is all that different :) in width or composition from the new products?

probably, or we'd all still be seeing it in the stores... but anyhow,

would that make a significant difference if it were used in a dollhouse?

t i a, y'all!

I used some from my grandmas bathroom floor in my Orginal Dollhouse (in my gallery)

It doesn't look horrible....but I did use it when I was like 12 so It is not the best job, I did just slap it in there.

I guess the scale would just depend on what the flooring looks like ya know?

Something like a marble-ish should look good?

Hi,

Hope I can help--my parents have been in the floor covering business all of my life, and I worked there for 15 years. I began my sales career just as linoleum was being phased out. Vinyl had all but taken over, but I have dealt with enough linoleum that I picked up some knowledge.

Vinyl is a petroluem based product. It can be made in more colors and patterns that linoleum and is easier to care for because it usually has a no-wax finish. Most vinyls are made in 12 foot widths, which means no seams in most rooms, and fewers seams in larger rooms. It is lighter in weight and easier to install. Most vinyl floors have the pattern stamped into the surface, but a few floors have through color that goes all the way to the backing.

Linoleum is made from linseed oil, cork and/or wood, over a canvas or burlap base. The great thing about these materials is that they are all renewable resources, unlike petroleum. Linoleum's color and pattern goes all through the product to the backing. 6 foot widths became the standard for linoleum, although earlier rolls were often narrower. It is long wearing, but does need to be waxed. Waxing is a bit more maintenance, but in addition to making the floor look nicer, it also seals out dirt and stains.

Linoleum has made a bit of a comeback in recent years. While still hard to find, at least it is once again possible to buy it.

Yes, you can glue the real thing in your dollhouse, as long as you like the look in scale. If you are simply after a linoleum look, alternatives are scraps of certain Formica patterns, marbelized wallpapers, or printies. The textures website, http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/texture_colour/ is a good source for this look.

I've seen linoleum tiles in Home Depot, but that was about five years ago.

In the 19th century, there were lino patterns other than the speckle we're familiar with -- mostly wood grains and some imitation encaustic tile patterns.

If you wanted to fake lino at dollhouse scale, I'd think in terms of a speckled scrapbook paper, sealed with a matte or semi-gloss finish. Or just paint it as a faux finish.

For more on linoleum, see if your local library has back issues of This Old House magazine or possibly one of the modernist magazines like Atomic Ranch.