cutting tools

ilovecats

Okay, here's the deal...i put the bellingham together last weekend...I have been bothered by the narrowness of the living room and master bedroom...i saw some pictures yesterday of another bellingham, they had removed the divider wall in the living room, which takes away a hallway...but was wasted space anyway, it really opened up the space...they had moved the partition over to the other side of the staircase opening (upstairs)....and they moved the staircase opening farther to the left. I would love to do this but with the ceiling as low as it is, i don't think any of our tools will work. I'm certainly not going to use an exacto knife *snicker*....what would you guys recommend? I'm planning something different for the stairway as well...I want to have a staircase with a landing...so a couple of stairs to the landing, then turning the staircase to follow the wall up. I have this figured out already, it's just a matter of getting a new opening cut to be able to carry outmy plan!

Any hole cutting tips would be appreciated...remember the ceilings are low in a Dura-craft house, so the tool can't be too tall. :lol:

Marg, is your Bellingham wood or MDF? My experience with the all-wood kits is that the dividing walls were tabbed & fit into slots in the floor & ceiling. If it's possible to flip the house onto its sides you can use a utility knife (the retractable kind with the big, heavy, trapezoid-shaped blade) and cut along the tab ith several passes. If you do this on both sides of the wall eventually you'll cut through the tabs (your other hand is holding onto the house to brace it and nowhere near the utility knife) aand should be able to remove the wall to wherever else you want it after you touch up the ceiling.

Good idea Holly. The house is MDF.

(your other hand is holding onto the house to brace it and nowhere near the utility knife) lol....how fitting and appropriate to say this!

two weeks in a row, i've learned my lesson.