Artist Studio

For the left wing of my shops the first floor and second floor will be painting stores. I have started putting the paintings together the first floor will be English victorian era painters, my particular favorites like Godward, Moore, Leighton, etc.. The second floor will be French Academic artists like Seignac, Bouguereau, Lefebvre, Chaplin, etc. 

For the third floor I was going with an artists studio, maybe some skylights on the roof as well as the bay windows to bring in light. In addition to the easels and clutter normally seen in a Victorian era studio I want to show the creation process. Moore especially was known to prepare multiple sketches and drawings, often drawing the models nude before clothing them to get the positioning correct, which I understand was a common practice. These are just a few examples of the prepatory drawings. I thought I would tack the drawings to walls and display on easels or table as I also showed the paintings that related to them on the main easels being worked on. 

these are the prep and completed "Garden" just to give an idea

0icPHIm.jpeg

wGvlY96.jpeg

and the same for "Battledore" and "Shuttlecock" including not only drawings but a complete mockup in oils

RK9PpQm.jpeg

TTggmg4.jpeg

SQKRAO9.jpeg

me5bLXd.jpeg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, LeeB said:

I love the realism of including preliminary sketches and drawings in a studio.

agreed. I am fascinated by the process Moore undertook including drawing the models nude before clothed to get the body just right, the multiple sketches and color tests. Nothing was left to chance, he mapped out the positions of the flowers, and had his model pose endlessly as he poked and prodded and let the garments fall and drape naturally into a position he wanted. I would like to somehow show all that in a miniature studio

I would think an artist and model would be helpful, or at least an indication thereof (plate of food scraps, various draperies lying around, a couch, chair or pillar, etc).

Posted (edited)

I am really thinking of an artist sketching a model. Since the model would be a classical dressed partially nude scaling and 3D printing her would be easy. Finding a 1/12 artist might be harder but basically a person in Victorian era working clothes would do it well 

Edited by jaxenro