New Bedroom Set

Posted (edited)

So I am starting a new bedroom set based on the old House of Miniatures kits. My plan is to do a black lacquer frame with burl fronts and a matching framed triptych over the bed and end tables and a framed mirror over the 6 drawer chest. I plan to replace the pulls with brass knobs and I will be using these kits:

40010 - Chippendale 6 Drawer Chest (1)
40054 - Bachelor`s Chest (2 Bed End Tables)
40064 - Chippendale Double Chest (1)
40033 - Chippendale Low Post Bed (1)
40007 - Hepplewhite Side Chair (2 Chairs)

j9jpX5L.jpeg

UKncM0n.jpeg
5lfoXPw.jpeg
XUguqAM.jpeg
sxfIhm2.jpeg

Edited by jaxenro

Posted (edited)

For the triptych I wanted something colorful and preferably pre-Raphaelite when I instead decided to go with something completely different and pre-Raphaelite in the sense that this was painted before Raphael altered the art world. This triptych by the "Master of Frankfurt" I think fills both needs and set in black frames with burl trim should be striking. So please follow along if you want this one should be fun

QBE0Afd.jpeg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks

My other idea was to go with a Japanese screen print parted out among three frames to go with the black lacquer of the furniture. I think the background will really play into the burl especially with a simple black lacquer frame. I will probably print both and see as this one switch changes the whole complexion of the room and give it that orientalist look to go with the lacquer. It will, however, literally change how I make the furniture as the trim will be simpler and minimalistic, the picture frames less ornate, the drawer fronts flush instead of panels.

nqmAVbS.jpeg

YezjO9o.jpeg

Edited by jaxenro

If I were going to use a set like that I think I'd go with the Oriental panels to enhance the burl, which could get lost in the pre-Raphaelite  ornamentation.  Hmmm, I have a few HOM bedroom kits...

One thing I really enjoy about miniatures is the ability to create a room instead of just a few isolated items of furniture. The blending of design and textures and artwork. In this case the artwork will drive the furniture details and finish. 

So I have been searching the net for a few days looking for an example of what I am planning and although this is really nothing like what I have planned it is also the closest to what I have planned I could find

First would be to trim any overhang from the top and base so it forms a cube then stain the frame with ink. Then cover the top and sides with burl and the drawer fronts (after sanding thinner so they fit flush with the burl added). So what shows as ebony here would be stained black and what shows as wood here would be burl. Sort of an art deco cubist look with a gloss lacquer finish. I am thinking of brass ring pulls

For feet something simple similar to an antique oriental chest stained black as well (stained with India ink)

Simple, almost minimalistic, but with the burl, brass, black, and lacquer should be striking looking. I have a large pile of madrone burl to use and will avoid any darkenng agent, maybe just a light clean oil to "pop" the grain before lacquering clear

YvcLpOG.jpeg

Any thought on the bed? Those front legs have to go and was thinking of making the rails deeper to show the burl better. Different headboard for sure. Was thinking of turning into more of a platform style with the same feet as the chests to tie it together, lowering the frame close to the floor but adding height back in by making the side and end rails deeper

Lower the frame?  Just use the square parts of the legs and add the bun feet; if that's not enough height with the wider stretchers, see if you can find square doweling at either the big box hardware or hobby stores to make replacements.  That might also help with the new, higher headboard.

making some simple feet

first sand a half round in the center of a 1/4" square 1" long

fgKfywo.jpeg

round off the corner (left side done here)

kCKHiej.jpeg

cut in the center and refine the shape more - just a little more shaping to do

0FpWjV3.jpeg

Edited by jaxenro

There are enough kits around that they would be easy to reverse engineer if it was cost effective 

Personally I would like to see them made from a mahogany or cherry like wood. With CNC machining you think some company in China could run them off without too much effort. 

Those woods would run the price of the kits higher than what most people would want to pay for a kit, since basswood is inexpensive, small grain and takes stain beautifully.  That said, I finally figured out to keep the parts sheets that come with those kits (wish I'd kept them all!) just so I could duplicate some of the furniture I liked.

41 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Those woods would run the price of the kits higher than what most people would want to pay for a kit, since basswood is inexpensive, small grain and takes stain beautifully.  That said, I finally figured out to keep the parts sheets that come with those kits (wish I'd kept them all!) just so I could duplicate some of the furniture I liked.

they are just about all online so you can print them off

each page has a link to a pdf of the instructions

https://thehouseofminiatures.org/catalog.php