Hi!

I'm Ginny!

I'm a bit new to dollhouse building and I just purchased the 1:24 Fairfield kit. Does anyone know where to find a dollhouse family that will fit it? Also is it difficult to add lighting? I've never tried it before.

Thanks! 😊

Welcome to the forum! I don’t work in 1/24 scale so I can’t answer your questions but there are members here who work in that scale

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Welcome! I recommend Etsy to find the right scale if you don't feel like making it yourself :) Unfortunately I've never done lighting so I can't help there! 

Edited by MamaV

Hi, I’m Sommer. I am currently working on Coventry cottage. This is my 3rd. Dollhouse. My first dollhouse is a 1:24 scale Victorian dollhouse. It’s a replica of real house in New Orleans built in 1876. I brought it from Etsy. I have always loved old houses. I have found furnitures on Etsy for the Victorian era. It was a very challenging house and I almost wanted to give up on it, but I didn’t. It was worth it. It’s not easy to find furnitures 1:24 scale. There are so many 1:12 scale. furniture and accessories.

My second dollhouse is a 1:12 scale Vermont Farmhouse Jr. from Real Good Toys. I brought some furnitures from Etsy and Amazon. 

I am about done with Coventry Cottage and I really like it how it turned out.

Welcome to the little family, Sommer.  I wound up making most of the furniture I used in my 1:24 Fairfields and hacienda, much of it by reducing patterns for 1:12 furniture.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Sommer.  I wound up making most of the furniture I used in my 1:24 Fairfields and hacienda, much of it by reducing patterns for 1:12 furniture.

Thank you. I wish I know how to make furnitures. They can be expensive on Etsy and Amazon plus the shipping can be crazy 

Patricia King's books are a most excellent way to begin;  I have both Making Dollshouse Furniture and Making Victorian Dollshouse Furniture (the titles are underlined because I have made them into hyperlinks to places you can get copies).  She has also written wonderful books on making stoves and fireplaces, and another on making bathroom fixtures; and every bit from "found" items.  That;s how I got started.

Patricia King's books are good. I think I've collected every one of them over the years. However they are mostly old fashioned period correct European items. If that's the look you were going for they are excellent. They are also very good at opening your eyes to seeing bits and pieces of real life objects that could be reused or recrafted in miniature. But if you are looking for more Western modern type furnishings I cannot recommend. Just my opinion.

Edited by FurMama

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Patricia King's books are a most excellent way to begin;  I have both Making Dollshouse Furniture and Making Victorian Dollshouse Furniture (the titles are underlined because I have made them into hyperlinks to places you can get copies).  She has also written wonderful books on making stoves and fireplaces, and another on making bathroom fixtures; and every bit from "found" items.  That;s how I got started.

Wow, interesting. I will look into it. Thank you 😊 

59 minutes ago, FurMama said:

Patricia King's books are good. I think I've collected every one of them over the years. However they are mostly old fashioned period correct European items. If that's the look you were going for they are excellent. They are also very good at opening your eyes to seeing bits and pieces of real life objects that could be reused or recrafted in miniature. But if you are looking for more Western modern type furnishings I cannot recommend. Just my opinion.

Thank you 😊 

Once you've acquired the "eye" for making things her way, though, you can adapt your "found" items to any period or style of furniture or accessory.