My buttercup so far

I can’t seem to be able to add her photo, though. I have dry fitted the walls and floors and bay window.  The next part of the (very poor) instructions say to do the windows, trim, and things like that.  It makes sense to me to dry fit the roof parts next, then I might be ready to take it apart and paint and things like that.  Is that a good plan?

some of you have mentioned your house speaking to you about what it wants to become, and I rolled my eyes, but it’s happening already!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Have you found moreminis.blogspot.com yet? Nice pics and might help you decide your next steps. The link below takes you directly to the section for the Buttercup but there are also many other Greenleaf houses and other building tips on the blog. 

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-buttercup-cottage-dollhouse-blog.html

Edited by FurMama
  • Like 1

I always wait to put windows and doors in last, after I've got the walls decorated.  My kit didn't have interior trims, so I made them from posterboard and when they were painted and in pla ce they looked just fine.  Usually houses speak to me when I start putting them in dry fit, but the Magnolia told me what it wanted when I saw the kit in a hobby shop, long before Greenleaf sent me one to build & blog for Team Magnolia.  I had seen the remains of a Florida Cracker house in one of the state forests on a hike and that's what the Magnolia wanted to become.

13 hours ago, FurMama said:
13 hours ago, FurMama said:

Have you found moreminis.blogspot.com yet? Nice pics and might help you decide your next steps. The link below takes you directly to the section for the Buttercup but there are also many other Greenleaf houses and other building tips on the blog. 

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-buttercup-cottage-dollhouse-blog.html

This is SO helpful, thank you!

Most people roll their eyes when someone say something inanimate speaks to them. I make monster boxes and paint sugar skulls, so I can tell you they definitely tell you what they want. I am working on a Fairfield and I actually ask it if it likes this or that. Sounds silly, sure, but it works. Thankfully, my house is as warped as I am. *L*

(bad thing - the base is warped (it cupped up) so right now my walls do not sit flat. I know how to flatten it, but I have be at the glue the walls down part before I unwarp it. Gotta love cabinet makers and their woodworking tips!)

1 hour ago, MissMolly said:

Gotta love cabinet makers and their woodworking tips!)

Ain't that the truth! I learned so much watching my dad! 

All my photos seem to be larger than the allowable size, so I guess I’ll need to crop them to show you.  Anyhow, here is my little buttercup, partly primed and partly glued.

IMG_2936.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Lisa, that works!

The bay is not attached yet because I’m not sure how the inside window seat will go.  And the front is not attached yet because of the gaps at the top slots… it seemed fine in dry fit but now I’m worried!  Is that too large of a gap, or will spackle do the trick later?

IMG_0527.jpeg

IMG_0528.jpeg

• Like 1