Room Divider / Fire Screen

Have an idea based on this pic from one of my go to books for sort of a room divider screen or fire screen

Mine wont be as fancy just some burl and veneer trim pieces depending on what I find in the scrap box

W0OzZM2.jpg

H0tjHDZ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

instead of tapestry I am going with painted fire screens as there are historical precedents. Tapestry was more common as the oil could be damaged by proximity to the fire but this pair is more decorative than practical

mine are based on a pentyptych by Charles Meynier and are double sided. I mounted the photo's on this crdbord and treated them with artict acrylic mediums

for some reason I never understand the texture shows as white in the photo but almost non existant in person

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Apollo_and_the_Muses,_oil_on_canvas_pentyptych_by_Charles_Meynier,_Cleveland_Museum_of_Art.jpg

dbAp6aO.jpg

J4KB95j.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

Posted (edited)

One frame done one to go

cherry wood with veneer trim and alkenet root/linseed oil finish

oil is still a little wet when I snapped these

I didn't show the other side but it is identical with a different pic

wCCBcSB.jpg

Wa53ohA.jpg

ByjglGj.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

it is the alkanet root powder - old English gunsmiths used it all the time in the 1800's for walnut gunstocks. You soak the powder in the oil for a month or two then strain it out

Hard to tell but the veneer has a strip of ebony between the holly edging and the center. The top is the diamond pattern of holly in walnut and the sides are satinwood but both have the same holly/ebony edging

Posted (edited)

actually this is satinwood with holly and ebony. I forgot what the ones used on the frame are maybe be rosewood. Anyway these strips are 3/8" wide and about 1/16" thick (rather thick for veneer trim) and I have some 3/8" x 1/16" cherry in my scrap box (the satinwood trim is scrap as well)

So for the uprights to stake the picture frame between I am going to sandwich a piece of cherry between two pieces of veneer. I am not planning on a cross piece on top just one on the bottom

ctOWQ9y.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

The picture frame is just short of 3” wide x 4 1/4” high so finished they will be about 3 1/4” to the outside of the base and maybe 4 3/4” tall. 

Posted (edited)

i made 4 feet for the bases from cherry molding. each is just shy of 2" long and the uprights will fit in the channel. I will connect them with a 1/4" square veneered stretcher once I se what veneer trim I have to cover it with

dK7MISj.jpg

bsIN4PM.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

Posted (edited)

just about done with the pictures need to clean up, fill, sand, and oil the frames

(I make my own filler using sanding dust saved from cutting and sanding the cherry and some artists matte medium mixed to a paste)

I used some 1/8 basswood to thicken the back of the wall mount frame so I could surround it with matching veneer to the smaller pictures. i think one on the wall and the two room dividers will really tie the display together. I also like the idea that Apollo will be displayed above his muses

finished they should be just tall enough for an average person to peer over. 

8a5usfi.jpg

H8sDHtw.jpg

ilqkDr5.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

Posted (edited)

This is the final piece the stretchers for the base each stretcher is a sandwich of veneer and cherry strip like the upright

glued up one on the right parts on the left

I still have a lot of cutting sanding and oiling to go but the design is set

WjSWQxZ.jpg

89OUi0n.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

I make my wood fillerr mixing the sanding sawdust with Elmer's clear-drying all-purpose glue.  I like that it sands nicely; much better than the plastic-looking wood filler I tried once.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The advantage to using sanding dust from the object your making is it is color matched. Clear glue, matte medium, etc. are all just binders. A few drops of varnish works as well

I realize my stuff is a little different than most here but I hope it is entertaining and maybe has some ideas others can use on their own projects. Mine are a little on the fantasy side as they are inspired by originals but not copies for the most part

Edited by jaxenro

JMHO I do think look at mitering the bottom corners so the colors continue around, to see how you like it.

Edited by havanaholly