The Off-Season: what do you do during nice weather?

MamaV

Hi everyone, 

I haven't been around lately because the weather finally broke, and I get to work on my very own garden for the first time! 

I have no idea what I'm doing 🙃 I keep getting idea paralysis because there are just so many things I want to try, and I want to do it right the first time. We'll see how it goes. 

Anyway, I've been posting a lot on a garden forum, and it made me miss you guys. I feel bad; now that it's relatively nice, I get all itchy being indoors too long (and so does my daughter, which doesn't help), and I haven't done a doggone thing to any of my miniatures. Do you guys run into that too? Do you push yourselves to keep working despite the season change? What do you do when you aren't indoors? 

Neither the hubs nor I are gardeners, although I used to enjoy planting and tending veggies; but the local deer put the kibosh on that when we moved here.  The neighbors warned us, so I just had my little compost pile going until I noticed it wasn't getting any bigger; the deer had decided it was their personal smorgasbord, so now everything goes into the garbage bag.  When the weather turns nice we mostly hike a mile or two (at our age and after all my recent medical stuff it's what I can do) and later on we'll head to one of our local beaches and hike in the sand.

25 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

we mostly hike a mile or two

That's more than what I can normally do, so props to you! Also, hiking in the sand??? Even harder!!

6 hours ago, MamaV said:

...hiking in the sand??? Even harder!!

Well, yeah, but I'm an occasional sheller and born beach bum...  I grew up in West Palm Beach, FL and the hubs grew up in Gulf Breeze, FL, so hiking in sand barefoot along the water line is something we both could do all day long when we were a tad younger, and are good for a couple of hours even now.

I'm out in the garden myself these days. I've sort of settled into admiring/playing with my houses rather than really working on any of them. Supposed to rain today, maybe that will change.

As far as gardening, I've gotten the best advice over the years from my State's extension service. Good luck, have fun and expect to mess up no matter how many years you garden. I was looking forward to a bountiful fruit harvest and the winds we had recently blew all of my baby plums away. 

Edited by FurMama
Afterthought