Back at it. Harrison Rehab

Hi Friends,

I am back at it. I have 3 rooms primed. Two ceilings painted. I am going to attempt wallpaper soon.
The previous guy did not sand anything. @havanaholly who knew there needed to be so much sanding? But I had a gut feeling.

It's very hard to paint once the house is assembled. I put it up on books, but it still hurts my neck. (I am old lol) I am going to use the extra kit I have as a template for the wallpaper, based on a suggestion I received from a member here.

I don't think I will ever be able to get this house as "crisp" as I would like...

What can I do about those "openings" where the wood joins? Wood filler? Spackel?

Thank you friends!

IMG_4954.jpeg

IMG_4955.jpeg

IMG_4956.jpeg

IMG_4957.jpeg

IMG_4957.jpeg

I invested in a set of three plastic putty knives.  Apply spackle/ joint compound to the surface (wall, ceiling/ whatever) and scrape off the excess, leaving a smooth surface; you can use the scraped off excess to do the next wall, and so on, until you run out of spackle/ joint compound and scoop a bit more onto your putty knife.  Give it a couole of days to thoroughly dry and then give it a light sanding with some 0000 sandpaper followed by a crumpled scrap of brown paper grocery bag and you're ready for paint/ wallpaper.

• Like 2

Hi @havanaholly @fov @LoriLovesMiniatures @MamaV and friends,

First thing this morning I ordered spackle and 3 plastic spackle knives from Amazon for about $8.00 total. I did some more priming and painting today, but my back and neck are in so much pain from bending into the dollhouse, that I am considering ripping out the stairs and windows. And I am afraid I will not be able to get the window frames "crisp."

Two questions—
Ragged edges—dremel? Spackle? (I have no idea how to use a dremel, but we have a set...)

I did not buy this dollhouse to build a dollhouse. It was a very cool and economical (hahaha) impulse item, although I have had a dollhouse as an adult.

Glue— I am not the glue expert you are...but I don't think this is hot glue. Any idea how to get those stairs and windows off? The house itself seems relatively stable.

Thank you all so much!
Karen

KarenIMG_4968.thumb.jpeg.1596a92d221d52416e33eae8a986c455.jpeg

IMG_4964.jpeg

IMG_4966.jpeg

IMG_4962.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi @havanaholly @fov @LoriLovesMiniatures @MamaV and friends,

First thing this morning I ordered spackle and 3 plastic spackle knives from Amazon for about $8.00 total. I did some more priming and painting today, but my back and neck are in so much pain from bending into the dollhouse, that I am considering ripping out the stairs and windows. And I am afraid I will not be able to get the window frames "crisp."

Two questions—
Ragged edges—dremel? Spackle? (I have no idea how to use a dremel, but we have a set...)

I did not buy this dollhouse to build a dollhouse. It was a very cool and economical (hahaha) impulse item, although I have had a dollhouse as an adult.

Glue— I am not the glue expert you are...but I don't think this is hot glue. Any idea how to get those stairs and windows off? The house itself seems relatively stable.

Thank you all so much!
Karen

KarenIMG_4968.thumb.jpeg.1596a92d221d52416e33eae8a986c455.jpeg

Lol! I will be embracing spackle as soon as it is delivered—tomorrow! Thanks @havanaholly!

I use 2 grades of sandpaper. Just tear off 2-inch squares and sand away. No need to apply brute force. Heavy grit first run, finer grit second run. To finish I use a 4-0000 steel wool, then ready for paint or wallpaper.

Just bought my first dremel. Cool tool, but I still sand these kinds of projects by hand. I double the sandpaper square over to get into corners, or where the wall hits the floor.

To remove old glued items I use a box cutter extended about 5 blades out, gives it a little flex to work against flat surfaces. It's tedius, needs about 10 or so passes before it makes a dent. But, it causes very little damage, unlike rippimg something out.. Dipping the blade tip in hot water every few passes also helps.

Edited by Kami
  • Like 3

Hi @Kami thanks so much! I was looking at box cutters this morning. Do you have a favorite? You know, the right tools really do make a big difference.

Here's a picture my daughter took of me working on it yesterday.

Thanks again!

IMG_3242.jpeg

• Like 2

You work barefoot?  My boxcutter is a Stanley utility knife like this one:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaBIrXK0jdugwuFL9uIKW4RwpgvGj6pXqlqyQBlpXyGw1zgW7EotOGNPkQ4xZmwJAqE-o9O2_UohOmwECptUs3deyA6wmV7aTRMNt-CkTkztaGnilonVhHJQ

because I can retract the blade back into the handle when it isn't actually in my hand cutting something (I can store up to five extra new, sharp blades in the handle), because I very nearly had it land point first into the top of my bare foot, and because I happened to scoot my foot back just as the knife decided to fall off the work surface, it landed in the floor instead.

• Haha 1

Well, no one beats a Stanley - pictured above - but I use Truper (don't know if you can get it there) because it's lighter, and my old hands tire easily with heavier metal tools.

Great doll house, and I love the pedestal table (what I can see of it) you are using as a 'workshop'. Music lined up, good lighting. That's the way to do it!

tx cutter.jpg

Edited by Kami
  • Like 2

As long as those sharp blades can be retracted back into the handle, whatever does the job.  The Stanley fits my hand and doesn't feel all that heavy, and it's what we had on hand when I got started.  The important thing is to change the blade as soon as you notice it;s no longer as sharp.

Remember, you can flip the house around to get to things better. I frequently flip the house from side to side and upside down for painting and wallpapering purposes 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

As long as those sharp blades can be retracted back into the handle, whatever does the job.  The Stanley fits my hand and doesn't feel all that heavy, and it's what we had on hand when I got started.  The important thing is to change the blade as soon as you notice it;s no longer as sharp.

I've used the Stanley all my life. Great tool, fits nicely in the hand. No self-respecting carpenter/builder/designer would be caught without one! But, I needed to go lighter as the hands age, so I went with the Truper. I'm anti-plastic, but sometimes ya jus' gotta. Yes, blade retracts, snaps off when you need a new tip.

Edited by Kami
  • Like 1

Hi @havanaholly @Kami @LPCullen! Thanks for the replies. You are very observant! I am almost always barefoot, but I totally hear you @havanaholly about the knife. I once impulsively stuck my foot out to catch a falling exacto knife (at my drawing board) and took it in the foot! Being a graphic designer, I have a lot of experience with an exact, but I think I have only cut myself twice, and once was in college ( a few years ago lol.)

Yes, a bunch of CDs at the ready. The table is about 100+ years old. I just bought the light on Amazon and it's a big help. About $55. Has a magnifier too. My "workshop" is my grown daughter's bedroom, which is also now my office and workshop. And it's a small room. But it's what we've got and it's working OK!

I piled 2 stacks of my husband's chemistry and physics books under the dollhouse to get it higher. That makes it a bit easier for me to work on.

BUT both @havanaholly and @LPCullen have mentioned turning/flipping the house, and assembling books under to get into the spaces. I would LOVE to do that—but with the turrets and window boxes...I have been afraid. Does anyone have pictures of a house propped up like that? Or any additional suggestions?

Thanks about the knives! I will buy one or the other. Ihere was an old Stanley around here somewhere...maybe I can find that.

@LPCullen this is FABULOUS! Thank you! And you are terrific with wallpaper! Great choices that work very well together. I am choosing wallpapers now, and being a designer, it's so hard! So many choices. Pretty sure I am going to lose the paper in the upper right bedroom and use Peter Rabbit border for visual relief.
I will change my FB preferences later today and send you. a friend request.

I am just about to try my hand at spackle for the first time @havanaholly.

Thank you all!

IMG_5002.jpeg

IMG_4998.jpeg

IMG_5001.jpeg

Karen, I can tell you're a designer by the wall treatment you''ve started in the lower left hand room; it reminds me of George Mason's dining room in Gunston Hall:

image.jpeg.529d3cc8dbab74fbd3c4f23380304cdd.jpeg                                                               

Those wallpaper inserts were hand painted (originally).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Karen99 said:

@LPCullen this is FABULOUS! Thank you! And you are terrific with wallpaper! Great choices that work very well together. I am choosing wallpapers now, and being a designer, it's so hard! 

Thank you! I wallpaper in miniature and in real life. I have a tendency to choose my furniture and then match my wallpaper to that. PS-wallpaper also hides a lot of flaws!

• Like 1

OMG Your Highness @havanaholly! I have just discovered spackle! Wow! It is obviously the answer to EVERYTHING! I had no idea! My dad would have known, but he is no longer with us (he was 94). I think of him often as I work on this.

Wow! Wow! Wow! I use an expired AmEx card as you suggested. I didn't have much time as we are on our way out shorty but what a difference. The lightbulb has gone off in my mind. Thank you @havanaholly and thank you all. And thank you for the kind words and example of the George Mason dining room.

@LPCullen I am doing the exact same thing with my furniture. I will choose it to compliment the wallpaper.

Before and after below. Haven't sanded yet and lots more to do.

Thank you friends!

IMG_4964.jpeg

IMG_5011.jpeg

IMG_5012.jpeg

IMG_4962.jpeg

20 hours ago, Kami said:

Your house is very flippable.Just need to build a book support to match the in and outs.

Found this ...

https://moreminis.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-fairfield-dollhouse-revisited-week_12.html

Hi @Kami this is G R E A T! Thanks so much! I have seen this blog but never saw that image. I will get it flipped at some point and post a picture. Thanks again! What a great community!
Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Karen, just make sure you don't catch the 'spackle bug'. You'll be emptying closets and flipping beds to find those errant cracks and 10-year-old nail holes. A bucket of spackle and a putty knife in hand. 

If you get a bad case of 'spackle bug', like me, you'll show up on your neighbours'd porch asking if you can spackle their walls. 🙂

Here's a product many folks do not know about ... whipped spackle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJE5UXmKTsM

• Haha 1