More Finish Tests

jaxenro

So please give me your honest opinion of the finish on these three. I am trying to replicate Wedgwood Black Basalt, Parian Ware, and Antique Bronze

Parian Ware is a type of biscuit porcelain imitating marble. It was developed around 1845 by the Staffordshire pottery manufacturer Mintons, and named after Paros, the Greek island renowned for its fine-textured, white Parian marble, used since antiquity for sculpture. Parian was essentially designed to imitate carved marble, with the great advantage that it could be prepared in a liquid form and cast in a mould, enabling mass production. Creamy white with a matte finish

Wedgwood Black Basalt is a hard, dense, fine-grained stoneware, which Wedgwood used for portrait medallions, seals, vases and urns, busts, tea ware, and other items. Josiah Wedgwood perfected this fine-grained stoneware in 1768, creating its dark color by adding manganese and carr, a slurry rich-with-iron oxide obtained from coal mines, to the clay body. The busts and figures were made to emulate old bronze statues. Black Basalt has been produced continuously since its introduction in 1768. Deep coal black with a satin to semi-gloss finish

Statuary Bronze has been used for thousands of years as a casting medium and finish for fine statuary. Bronze was the material of choice for statuary during the Greek age, many of the Greek statues are only known to us as Roman marble copies of Greek Bronze originals. Antique bronze with a satin to semi-gloss finish

18 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

IMO the parian looks good, the black basalt also looks nice, but a bit on the shiny side, and the black bronze looks spotty/ pitted.

I was going for aged you think too pitted?

wedgwood black basalt busts were pretty shiny see here - trying to replicate it

https://www.potomackcompany.com/auction-lot/wedgwood-black-basalt-bust-of-william-shakespeare_DE34BC7943

I had somehow pictured black basalt as having more of a matte finish.  By golly, you nailed it!  The lighting may be what makes the bronze look pitted.  I'm not sure how you made the aging effect on the bronze, but the itty dark spots look like pits to me.  I've seen old pitted bronze; the lighter tone does age it.  Maybe drag the darker color just a tiny bit to make it more of a blotch than a pit?  Maybe mot on a casting, but try the effect on sample blanks.