Accidental Dollhouse Builder

Retired Interior Designer with a background in building architectural models, sat down to build a 1:12 model of my own some-day home, and the next thing I know I am building a dollhouse. Lot of on-line options around now that were not available 20 years ago. If I need a lamp or chair, I go to the dollhouse sections on Amazon and eBay. It was 'get in the car and drive to the hobby shops' back in the day. Who knew?

Or, I make my own if I cannot find what I am looking for. Does that make me a miniaturist?

I accept my fate.

I'll share photos soon.

First big question: Do dollhouses always have to have an open back?

• Like 2

Welcome to the little family, Kami.  You became a miniaturist with those architectural models.  Google images of English dollshouses, with their hinged fronts and solid backs.  Some time in the late 50s or so ranch-style dollhouses were accessed through removable roofs.  Some dollhouses with finished exteriors are hinged in the middle to open out for access, and some dollhouses, like Greenleaf's 1:24 Fairfield, are open on part of a couple of sides for access.  So no, dollhouses don't have to have an open back :D

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Kami.  You became a miniaturist with those architectural models.  Google images of English dollshouses, with their hinged fronts and solid backs.  Some time in the late 50s or so ranch-style dollhouses were accessed through removable roofs.  Some dollhouses with finished exteriors are hinged in the middle to open out for access, and some dollhouses, like Greenleaf's 1:24 Fairfield, are open on part of a couple of sides for access.  So no, dollhouses don't have to have an open back :D

Thank you, Havana Holly. Interesting history in a nut shell. I guess I'm leaning towards the late 50s or so ranch style. I just can't figure out where to pop the walls open for access.

First walls up!

1 hour ago, MamaV said:

Welcome to the hobby, it won't let you go now 😛  Ask away! If Holly doesn't know the answer, *maybe* one of us will :D

Thank you for the welcome.

Passing on your lessons is invaluable to the rest of us. Much appreciated.

Geeze, if I was to share my 'learning from my mistakes', we would need a bigger forum!

Went searching for late 50s dollhouses. Tough to find, so maybe the roof access was not hugely popular? Loved the metal stamped ones, but do I really need to start another collection of odd things?

image.thumb.jpeg.d103acc784ec0897c541067f8a2a7310.jpeg

Fun link. Old house has the combo roof off/open back.

My Vintage Dollhouses: Let's take a tour of a 1950s Rich Toys rancher (my-vintage-dollhouses.blogspot.com)

• Like 1

This is wonderful! Good, cuz my project is inspired by mid-century, based on scattered childhood memories. Dollhouse memories, though, I have zero. 

image.jpeg.2cb3111c44c90ff5b34971cd5c4ec6a7.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 8:07 PM, Kami said:

This is wonderful! Good, cuz my project is inspired by mid-century, based on scattered childhood memories. Dollhouse memories, though, I have zero. 

image.jpeg.2cb3111c44c90ff5b34971cd5c4ec6a7.jpeg

I didn't know these existed! What a smart way to get your dolls in and out of a house! Until they get stuck I suppose, but that's a different problem....

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, MamaV said:

I didn't know these existed! What a smart way to get your dolls in and out of a house! Until they get stuck I suppose, but that's a different problem....

Being the toxic and conflictive person that I am, my first thought was to use my magnet wand to kidnap the other player's dolls and run them off the cliff!! 🙂

Edited by Kami

1 minute ago, Kami said:

Being the toxic and conflictive person that I am, my first thought was to us my magnet wand to kidnap the other player's dolls and run them off the cliff!! 🙂

😳*Quietly takes magnets off of all the dolls*

Who am I kidding, I'd want the whole thing to myself anyway - to the cliff!!!

• Haha 1

Oh my goodness! I had a grocery store similar to that with the little people and their shopping carts running around in isles powered by a magnet underneath. What Memories! I also think my Holly Hobby doll house was the same way. Not the wood manufactured one, I had a cardboard one with a Holly Hobby doll and plastic furniture. The doll fit in a stand with a magnetic base driven by a wand underneath. That house was the only thing that did not survive the leak in the she shed. 

• Like 1