Looking for advice

Sonner77

Good morning everyone, I am starting to build my Garfield Dollhouse for the first time.  I believe I have all of the instructions but I am looking for any advice/hints/tips/tricks to help with the process.  I am also wondering if there are any videos on how to start?  I know how important it is to make sure I do this right so if I can learn from others experiences I would greatly appreciate you sharing.  I have seen many amazing pictures/videos of the finished dollhouse and it is beautiful.   I’m really looking forward to building this and most of all spending the time with my elderly mother decorating it!! These homes have always been my mom’s favourites and I know I will cherish the memories we will make forever.   I didn’t know I could make my own post and made a similar post in response to one of Charlotte’s post in here, but I wanted to add it and have my own .  I appreciate the person that responded to that post.   Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions/tips or tricks. It is GREATLY APPRECIATED.   I hope everybody has a wonderful day.

Welcome to the hobby! I'm new myself, so unfortunately I can't provide many tips and tricks like the veterans here can. But I will say, make sure you value the project and the time more than the perfection. I grapple with the "but it's not precise! It's not as realistic as it could be!" all the time, and it can really sour the hobby and make you want to stop. Just do your best, laugh about mistakes, find clever ways to hide them (or spotlight them!) and enjoy the process and the quality time 🙂 Good luck! 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the responses.  Fur Mama,  that is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  THANK YOU.  Mama V, that is great advice for me.  I have caused myself a lot of headaches trying to “fix” something to look better, only to make it worse.   In reality, I don’t think anyone would have noticed it but me, so I greatly appreciate that advice.  My daughter, my mother and I are building this together and the fun of it and memories are what I’m looking forward to most.   We are going to take our time and enjoy it.  

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 10:06 AM, Sonner77 said:

...I appreciate the person that responded to that post...

That was I.  As I said there, dry fit, dry fit and dry fit before gluing anything.  If you do make an "oopsie", take it apart carefully and refit it and glue again.  

• Like 1

Aww yes, I greatly appreciate that awesome advice.  No doubt that will definitely save me a lot of frustration.  This could be a little overwhelming but I’m really excited and looking forward to the process of building this.  With the great advice I’ve received I feel more confident in starting.  Thank you very much 

• Like 1