My first Dollhouse Kit! (help plz?)

Kat Truhart

Hi there! I recently got an Orchid house kit and am having trouble even on the first steps! I'm taking out the small pieces to go around doors and windows, careful to use a sharp craft knife to cut them out on the front and back. However, when I do, often times, at least with the window frames, the wood is separating! like the top layers are coming away from the middle and having to be re-glued as they basically crumble away. I don't know when the kit was made (though I can possibly check the box?) but its already pretty frustrating that the parts are coming apart... I am excited still to build it though! 

I feel your pain, Kat, as my Glencroft sheets with door and window trims was also like that and an awful lot of my Team Glencroft blog entries deal with how I reglued the itty bits back together.

• Like 1

After you have glued where you can, a little wood putty can fill in any cracks/gaps left.

The Orchid is such a pretty dollhouse - do you know yet what your plans are for it?  It can be great fun to have a backstory, and many members here are very creative with theirs.  Will it be a home, a shop, or ???  Will you put dolls in it?  Some people think a dollhouse should have dolls, some others think dolls spoil the realistic effect of a miniature house.  What do you think, Kat?

• Like 1

I'm going to be painting it navy blue, pale yellow and gray I think. My actual intentions are to put it together and make it as good as I can before re-selling and hopefully getting a larger house. My goal is to one day earn enough for one of those huge front opening houses!! I'd love that ❤️❤️❤️

Very smart colour scheme!  The last dollhouse I did was painted navy blue, custard yellow, and white - with a weathered gray roof!  (We seem to have a few things in common, don't we?)  I hope you will take lots of photos of your build, and keep us updated!

On 3/16/2023 at 8:22 AM, Shy Spirit said:

Very smart colour scheme!  The last dollhouse I did was painted navy blue, custard yellow, and white - with a weathered gray roof!  (We seem to have a few things in common, don't we?)  I hope you will take lots of photos of your build, and keep us updated!

I am glad you like it, I think white will be the third color, navy blue, pale yellow and white. I'll likely make some swatches and post it, I'm basically not even done taking out, sanding and painting the window frames *shakes head tiredly* I don't want to use my Dremel so its just hand sanding lol. I saw some pictures of someone having the shingles painted varying shades of navy-ish blue, I thought that looked nice. I also saw some people getting really fancy and making cute designs on the shingles, like shaping them do they make hearts or diamonds. Its gorgeous and creative! Of course if I find the Pin on pinterest I'll try to credit people for the ideas. 

The problem mentioned with the wood is inherent to luan plywood under certain environmental conditions.  The only fault of the manufacturer is trying to produce a kit to make a beautiful, not toy-like mini house for an affordable price.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 11:00 PM, Kat Truhart said:

.... I also saw some people getting really fancy and making cute designs on the shingles, like shaping them do they make hearts or diamonds. Its gorgeous and creative! Of course if I find the Pin on pinterest I'll try to credit people for the ideas. 

I've been wondering if scrapbooking scissors could cut the really thin shingles you can get.  They would make some beautiful shapes!

On 3/23/2023 at 5:56 AM, Shy Spirit said:

I've been wondering if scrapbooking scissors could cut the really thin shingles you can get.  They would make some beautiful shapes!

I ended up using an Xacto knife to get it worked into the right shapes, though I am concerned it wont line up perfectly for some reason even though I measured everything...lol somehow even when measuring things i somehow get things wrong -_- *sigh* Off the side of the image is the ones that dont line up perfectly...I hopefully will get them to work properly once I put them on. Then again I haven't even made it out of getting the windows ready lol... and today I was cutting cardboard to make siding...despite not having the walls put together. lol

shinglesamplejpeg.jpg

I think you will be happier with the end results if you wait to install the windows and their trims until after you have decorated the interior walls.  I trace around the window trims when I lay them on the bare walls, inside & out, during the dry fit, and then all I have to do is to glue them in once everything wlse is done.