Aging a Hofco farmhouse

Kells

Ages ago I got a Hofco farmhouse off Craigslist for $45 (score!). I recently dug it out. I changed window openings, as seen in the pics, and used different windows and doors (I think they're old Carlson's I'd had forever). Since I got the house so cheap, I figured I could experiment with it. I really love aging and distressing things so I decided to have a go at making it look old and a bit run-down. The kitchen is going into an addition on the side, which will have board and batten instead of clapboard, and a rusty tin roof rather than shingling.

I really rather like how it's turning out! :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

I like how it's run-down but not derelict, like the old farmer & his wife still live there but just can't keep things up like they used to.

I am so happy you see it that way because that is exactly the story I devised for it!! Run-down but not so far as to look abandoned.

The inside will be tidy but not fancy. Like the wife is house-proud and keeps things ship-shape, but they can't afford to replace old pots and pans, old wallpaper (which I'll try dirtying just a bit, but not so far as to be torn and rotten), having to make do with scuffed up furniture (of which I have plenty, lol), and the like. I'm going to have a go at tea-dying fabrics so they have more of an aged look. That sort of thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

You can also dab the wallpaper randomly with cold wet tea bags (experiment first to see if you like the look).

Thank you so much for that tip, I will try it! I hadn't thought about how to age wallpaper, only that I wanted to do it. I figured I'd search for techniques once I got to that point. You saved me the trouble!