I guess I should introduce myself - having been here nearly 2 months

My bride of 48+ years and I live in western North Carolina after I retired from a major computer company nearly 19 years ago. I was a computer and network security consultant for a major computer company (after 12 years in the military) with a Master's degree in EE and she ( aka she-who-must-be-obeyed) was (is) a housewife "kept in the manner to which she is accustomed". Neither of us had any interest in dollhouses until 3 months ago when she wanted an adobe dollhouse. We lived in NM for 22 years and that's where we left our hearts and where we visit via Amtrak every year and a half or so. We'd go back but the kids (and now little grandkids) settled in the southeast.

Anyway, she got the adobe dollhouse bug which is being built for us by a friend. We are too old to move again (except for the inevitable nursing home and the little plot in the ground) so the dollhouse will allow her to dream of an alternate life. She is searching the internet world for items for it (but is very particular about what she wants) although any real buying is awaiting the arrival of the home. We're both having a blast being amazed by the items available and a little disappointed about the lack of southwestern stuff.

As a lifetime computer guy who used the predecessor of the internet and the first browsers ever made, I naturally fell into the trap of spending even more time on my computers helping her with her dream. I also plan to add electronics to the dollhouse wiring to allow an automated changing of the room lights so they highlight one room at a time as well allow her to manually select any lights, specific room lights or all lights. Might even add dimmers for those that can handle it.

Edited by Husband of Adobe Dollhouse
  • Like 3

John, some of the tourist traps out west have quite lovely Mexican miniatures that work well in southwestern settings.  Welcome to you and your bride to the little family.  Do I detect a John Mortimer fan?

Edited by havanaholly

On 10/31/2020 at 5:37 PM, havanaholly said:

John, some of the tourist traps out west have quite lovely Mexican miniatures that work well in southwestern settings.  Welcome to you and your bride to the little family.  Do I detect a John Mortimer fan?

Thanks for the suggestion. We were planning on doing that when going out to NM next time. I even contacted a non-profit in Albuquerque that helps senior artisans by running a shop to sell their wares to see if one of the seniors might be a dollhouse accessory maker. No luck but they will ask around.

As to John Mortimer. I had to look him up as I never heard of him. Sorry.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

He authored the Rumpole of the Bailey books and Horace Rumpole referred to his Mrs as she-who-must-be-obeyed.

Oops! We recently rewatched the whole series on Acorn streaming. I did not know he had written it. I was a Rumpole but my wife is not a Hilda Rumpole by any means except in the fact that she is a wonderful cook and a loyal partner. Like him, I served in the military. Like him, I never dress up. Like him, I never moved up in management because I was always the rebel fighting windmills. Like him, I ate too much later in life and show it. But I don't drink or smoke and recognized early that I wanted to retire and did it.

When looking up John Mortimer, I didn't read far enough to see that he wrote the Rumpole stories. My bad.