1/12 model car

glen

It kind of depends on your price range, but if you do a Google search on "model+cars" you'll pull up a ton of sites. Then you can do a search for 1/12th scale. HBS does carry a few 1/12th vehicles, at least three, that I remember.

*Sorry, HBS carries 1/18th cars. I just checked. :lol:

Edited by CatColorado

Hi Glen,

I was just browsing through 'miniatures.com' and they have some 1/18th scale cars that they say work in most 1" scenes. If you'd like to check those out I believe they were under "outdoor accessories".

Ok, please don't take this as me trying to dish anyone but I think, (don't flame me) that the reason 18th works with some houses seems to me that a lot of commercial houses have 1/12 doors, windows etc but their floor plan tends to be very compressed to allow as much variety of rooms as possible without using real space. Thus a 1/18 shortened car would look correct to the width of a dollhouse.

Unfortunately I've gone the other way and made my floor space larger than normal to allow little hands to move dolls around without knocking things over.

To this end I’ve taken a couple of pictures with cars I have. The wrangler is 1/10 scale (to big) and the merc is 1/18, to small. offscales.jpg

Then, using the wonders of technology, I’ve corrected their scale in front of my house and I think 1/12 looks about right. 12scales.jpgWhich puts me in a difficult position as the only car, thus far, that I’ve found is a mini cooper 1/12 RC. The 1/12 die cast cars are EXPENSIVE. Moore money! So that plans on hold for a while!

Cheers

Glen

Glen, that is a great-looking contemporary dollhouse--- love the big rooms.

You are so right about 1/12 scale: the components are in scale, the furniture is in scale, but the houses themselves are not. A good-sized living room in a dollhouse is about 12x14 inches; in a real house 12x14 feet is a small bedroom. That is one reason I prefer Victorian era houses: real life Victorian rooms were typically so crowded and jumbled that having too much furniture in too little a space in a Victorian dollhouse doesn't look so odd.

And BTW, your 1/10 SUV may look over-sized in front of your house, but when I see them barrelling down on me on the road-- yup, that's about how big they look to me!

Bee