The Pierce - a question about the order of things...

Shareb

Hi All - I have now finished all the first floor flooring and wallpapering. This is apart from the bays in the living, dining and kitchen where the floors are done but I haven't punched out the pieces to wallpaper etc as yet. So...my question....Should I...

A) go back to the instructions and build the second floor plus walls including gluing?

B) Go back and finish all the doors/windows for the ground floor and assemble?

C) Carry on with the decoration of the second floor as ceiling etc but keep as a dry-fit no gluing as yet?

or D) Assemble and complete the bay's?

How easy are the windows to put in when the whole house is assembled? Do the bay's have to be done when everything else (ie floors walls) are done?

I guess my thoughts are that I should punch out the second floor and prepare. So that would include some sanding, painting and/or wallpapering as the ceiling for the first floor and of course the electrics for the first floor. I would then add in any internal walls, do the flooring for the second floor (over the top of electrics) and wallpaper - all as a dry fit. Again I have to consider the windows/doors and bays. Hmm......

The bays are about the last thing you install after all three floors are assembled (the only way since the tabs to hold the bays are on the floors) and it's difficult to install the windows in some spaces after the walls are up. On both my Pierces, I did all the wallpapering and installed the windows before I assembled, but decorating before assembling is the way I almost always build and certainly not required altho I do find it easier, especially with a big house. However, those back corners in the Pierce living room and the landing on the second floor are hard to reach from the interior once the floors are in, especially after the stairs are installed. Trying to do wallpaper and interior door/window frames would be difficult. I hope that helps answer your question a little.

• Like 1

Thanks Deb - yes that does help. So I'll continue with the dry fit - add in the second floor (with or without the stairs at this point) finish decorating, then move onto windows/ doors, then glue all together and finish the bays!

Oh thank you Tracy!!! Your blog is sooooooooooo helpful and I couldn't remember the link for it. I was trying to find building pictures on my other laptop and all I came up with was this:

gallery_329_7164_530163.jpg

Rebecca, that's what the Pierce looks like in dry fit with just the walls and floors. When you punch out the pieces, use a pencil to lightly label each one with the name and sheet number from the schematics so you can easily identify them later. Once you get it in dry fit like this, it'll all make much more sense and you'll see the areas where you need to plan ahead for wallpapering and wiring. If you read thru Tracy's blog, you'll see some of the areas where you'll want to "work ahead" and watch for when you have the whole house in dry fit.

Thanks Tracy - your's is a website I have open most of the time! Thanks Deb - good to have a pic like that so I can refer to it! I'm feeling more and more confident about it all!! Feel free to have a look at my blog on here - The Kiwi Pierce Build. I'm putting up to date pics on that and I'd be happy to hear constructive criticism!