Beacon Hill windows

momrox18

Hello all...new here. Working on 8th house..first kind with slots. Before I start...can anyone tell me if I can change the windows? I like using more decorative ones, and can't find the answer anywhere. Can they be changed out with "stock" ones from local shop? Thanks, Sue

Please go introduce yourself in the Newcomers Forum, we want to hear about the other seven houses, too.

Hello all...new here. Working on 8th house..first kind with slots. Before I start...can anyone tell me if I can change the windows? I like using more decorative ones, and can't find the answer anywhere. Can they be changed out with "stock" ones from local shop? Thanks, Sue

When I'm not happy with the windows I trace the openings onto paper and use the tracings for patterns to make my own windows (and doors). Of course you can use premade components instead, just be aware that you might need to enlarge or reduce the size of the opening the component will fit. Also, Houseworks and most other ready made components are made to fit 3/8" plywood and Greenleaf kits are made from 1/8" plywood (Corona Concepts uses 3/16", I think)., so you want to take that into consideration (I have successfully used some Houseworks components in Greenleaf builds).

When you use stock windows on a thinner wall, you can create "padding" from scrap bits of wood left from the sheets in the kit or purchase coffee stirrers or other small wood to fill in the gap, so to speak. They will work, I've used them plenty of times, you just have to fill in around the casing areas. Making your own, of course, means they can fit exactly how you had in mind. You can purchase window trim from several supplies. Someone here on the forum just recently posted about making their own rosettes for door and window trims from press molds. That is also an option for your window project.

Don't be afraid to ask more questions if you have them. Good luck.

I made working windows and doors for the Washington 2.0 I'm building now, and at first I was going to simply do some cutting on the frames and use the trims that came with the kit; but our local hobby shop recently relocated and they are really trying to get rid of all the mini millwork, and I got so much it was easier to make my own new frames. I am using the window pediments that came with the kit, and have embellished them with some of the millwork. I am using the attic arched frames (I cut away the mullions from the exterior frame and used toothpicks to make it louvered).

If you side your house with clapboard that will help thicken the wall so you might not need to pad the ready made windows. Unless I'm making my own, I hang doors and windows the very last thing.