Punch needle/Punchneedle craft

JaimieMarvon

I just started. Got my 3 needle set from Joanns with internet coupon about a month ago. I have lots of DMC floss that I've held on to since my cross stitch days, and many packages of 22 & 18 count canvas that I got at Rag Shop for 20 cents each on clearance.

I went to "bed" early last night and fooled around with it for a while before I got the hang of it. Now that I've got the hang of it I LIKE IT! I'm almost done with a little welcome mat for the front door of the Garfield. I figured I'd start out small and see how it it went before starting a more ambitious project.

My biggest quiestion is: What would be the best way to make patterns? How about trying to print on the canvas. But maybe the ink would seep through to the "good" side? I saw the thread abotu printing on fabric, but haven't tried it yet.

Has anyone every bought the patterns? What do they look like and how to you follow it? I guess it would be similar to counted cross stitch?

Hi Jamie,

Can you tell me the difference between Punch needle craft and bunka? I know they're simular.. or I thought they were but I didn't know you could use DMC floss. For the needle I have the bunka is threaded down through a kind of metal tube and you pull the end of hte bunka to start it and it threads out the bottom of the tube and through the eye of the needle then you punch it through the material to make your design - Is Punch needle craft simular?

I know when we made our mini rugs we just glued the bunka to the fabric backing instead of punching it (so that the rugs will lay flatter and have a shorter knap) but I can't remember how she said to transfer patterns. I think they just used carbon paper over the fabric and then went back over it with marker... I'm pretty sure there's a better way to do this but this is the only one I've seen.. and I wish I'd paid better attention now but I bought the pre-printed kit and didn't make my own <_<

-David

You can easily transfer a pattern using tracing paper and a transfer pencil. Just trace over the design, then iron it onto the fabric. The harder you iron, the darker the pattern, but it doesn't ever get really dark, so there's not a problem with it showing through.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Can you tell me the difference between Punch needle craft and bunka?

Not a clue as to bunka, but I have done a little reading on the punchneedle stuff and found that you can use the #1 needle with 2 strands DMC type floss. It worked real well. I'll take a pic when I'm done.

And Yes. My needle sounds exactly like the one you described, except that I can change the size of the needles (I have 3).

You can easily transfer a pattern using tracing paper and a transfer pencil. Just trace over the design, then iron it onto the fabric. The harder you iron, the darker the pattern, but it doesn't ever get really dark, so there's not a problem with it showing through.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Thanks Carol. I may try that one, too.

Not a clue as to bunka, but I have done a little reading on the punchneedle stuff and found that you can use the #1 needle with 2 strands DMC type floss. It worked real well. I'll take a pic when I'm done.

And Yes. My needle sounds exactly like the one you described, except that I can change the size of the needles (I have 3).

Wow you can change the size of needles? I think I'm going to have to look for one of these it sounds neat! I tried doing the bunka the way it showed in the big full sized bunka kits I had picked up - that's where i got my needle.. I bought like 5 kits but only one of them came with a needle and because one was almost complete I finished it out and found that punch needle craft was really relaxing to do. I really enjoyed it but because I actually bought the bunka to use in miniatures (because bunka is so hard to find locally and kinda pricey too) and I couldn't really see a place in my house for the patterns that were in the kits I got I never made anymore. I think I like the idea of being able to use DMC floss though! - I can get that locally for pretty reasonable :D I'm looking forward to seeing the picture when you're done ;)

Thanks,

-David :lol:

Here are my pics that I took last night before i finished the welcome mat. I couldn't resist putting it at the front door of my DH it fit wonderfully and I hadn't even measured! Although I still need to figure out how I want to finish the edges.

post-592-1158699539_thumb.jpg my design

post-592-1158699525_thumb.jpg can you see the "pile"?

post-592-1158699512_thumb.jpg here is the needle with the design

Jamie,

That looks Awesome! I made a welcome mat and it looks to me like it's a comparable size to yours but I used pulled bunka and it was glued down instead of punched. I wish I could see them in person and side by side because it looks to me like the pile on your rug is about the same size as the glued down bunka! How neat it would be to actually be able to make them punched through like this! Can I ask how thick the pile is on the back side of the rug? That was the problem with punching the bunka it raised the rug and made it quite a bit thicker than I wanted - gluing it I didn't have that problem but I don't think the glued one I made looks nearly as good as your punched rug. And I had promised to post a photo of it but I misplaced the darn thing like the day after I finished it ;) It wasn't a design I really liked but it was a club class project and I figured it was good for the learning experience - now I just wish I could find where I put it! :lol:

- David :D

Believe it or not I've actually tried doing counted cross-stitch. Like crochet and knitting I did NOT find it relaxing - Rosie Grier might but I didn't . I was Terrible at it! :lol: But that sounds like a pretty flat backed rug which is a really good thing :D You know you may have just opened up a new miniature craft here ;) This is very cool! I'm going to have to bug them at the local needle craft store again - I think by now they cringe when they see me coming heheh - I can almost hear them flipping a coin to see who has to put up with all my questions about what ever I'm in to ask about this time. ;)

Thanks again :p

-David

This is the back before I cut the edges. A little messy, but not too bad. LOL

post-592-1158777695_thumb.jpg

After cutting the edges I wasn't sure how to finish it. I folded over a small amount and was started sewing it, then realzed it was making it bulky. I decided that putting a "wash" of glue overthe back woudl not only hold the stitches in place, but make the pices stiff as well, more like a real welcome mat. :lol:

Front and back view after cutting and glue "wash"

post-592-1158777656_thumb.jpg post-592-1158777679_thumb.jpg

This is the needle set I got from JoAnn's Cameo Ultra Punch 3-Needle Set Regular price is $20.99 but I had gotten it with 40% off coupon.

Wow Jamie

I think the back looks Awesome! I wish I'd saved the bunka picture from teh kit that I finished (It was a chicken.. I'm not really a chicken sort of person<ok so when comes to spiders I AM chicken heheh> so I gave the picture away) But the back of the bunka picuture was way different than the back of your rug - and your rug back looks WAY better!!

This is going to be another dumb question but.. do you work from the back or from the front? I guess if I just went out and bought a kit that would tell me :lol: Sorry for all the dumb questions, but this rug of yours really does look great!

-David

Trying to do a little more research for Punchneedle craft (also seeing it called "Punch Embroidery") I came across this website with GREAT info: http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/punchneedle.htm

Miniature Punchneedle Embroidery by Lindy Repasky has been reccomended lots in my research, but I haven't bough it myself.

PUNCHNEEDLE EMBROIDERY website with LOTS of info

Website with books and videos info

I can't wait to do more!

when I was at Micheals sat I got myself a needle punch tool. Im looking forward to

trying this again. I used to do this when my boys were younger.

nutti :rolleyes:

So to get started with this, what exactly would I need? I'm very curious about this and wouldn't mind giving it a try.

We're driving to MS to buy a pug puppy tomorrow, though, so I fear my free time will be VERY limited in the upcoming weeks/months!

what you need is the tool or a kit to start with

I didnt buy any material as I have some brodcloth I think will work ok

and I bought a very small hoop.

if you have never done this I would recomend a kit to start off

at Micheals the kits were about 10$

nutti :rolleyes:

I've only done the one project, but I've been experimenting with it a bit. I've been using the #1 needle with 2 strands DMC type floss on 22 count canvas. I have a ton of muslim fabric and it works on that too.

My next challenge will be trying to print on fabric , or try a iron-on so I can make my own "patterns". I don't like ANY that I've seen to buy or in books.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a book from the library called Punchneedle Embroidery: Dancing Needles by Pamela Gurney tonight.

In just thte little time I flipped through the book whilst my 4 yr old was in the bath I found it AMAZING!! I definately reccommend it! Lots of techniques, styles, and LOTSSS of info. I can't wait to really read this book. I may have to actually BUY it! and it isn't that expensive. Only $14.56 new on Amazon. Bet I could find it cheaper too. :wave: