Grand plans for my Willow

JuniperJenny

...I did end up going to purchase the EZ Cutter...complications in gluing and a desire on the part of my stringers to lean narrower as we go up...
You will be amazed how much you'll use it, too! Next it sounds like you're in the market to make or buy yourself a gluing jig...

Right now I'm making do with craft sticks cut to length (thank you EZ Cutter) to hold the stringers apart while my treads dry. I've got top and bottom treads on both of them now, and I think the rest will go on pretty easily if I keep using my spacers. Still, I will confess to having covetous eyes on the magnetic jigs I've seen people on here using. They look nifty.

I keep telling myself that these stairs will probably be the most niggly part on the house construction itself. It's probably a lie, as the windows look crazy, not to mention the built-ins in the living room, but it makes me feel better. Meanwhile, I've picked the colors and some papers for the rest of the house, and that part I feel more confident about. My husband picked the paper for the nursery...he found one with tiny airplanes (he's an engineer in aviation) all over it, and informed me my miniature family was having a boy.

Well, I feel like I'm finally making progress. I keep losing the digital camera, though, which should be more difficult than it is. It's not a big house.

I have two probably-slightly-wonky staircases glued together (apart from treads) with a coat of primer on and sanded and some wood filler and spackle drying now. I'm trying otterine's primer/spackle prep (on her blog) for the pieces I plan to paint. It's pretty much impossible to argue with her results: so beautiful.

I started priming room partitions. I'm planning to wallpaper, with mostly solid scrapbook cardstock, but it just seems like a good idea to seal this wood.

I'm now sitting on the bed surrounded by my scrapbook paper and some fabrics putting rooms together on my computer and in my head. The family in my head has just acquired a new addition, so my rooms (some heavily influenced by the spouse) will be:

Amateur Radio Room and Office / Tiny Guest Bedroom (made up for mother-in-law)

Master Bedroom / Hall / Nursery (airplane themed)

Eat-in kitchen / Living room

I hate building a house without a bathroom, especially since my loudest and most consistent complaint about my own is that it doesn't have enough, but I just can't think of a good place to put it. In my head, the house has a little wing off the back that just has bathrooms and closets on every floor, since they certainly aren't in the part we can see. Any better suggestions?

Also the next house is either going to be laser cut or have much simpler (read: fewer) windows. I'm going to go mad finishing all these little bits.

Edited by JuniperJenny

Oh yes, and I'll stick with it. I can already see how Otterine's method is going to help smooth things over, and it's easy to stick with a niggly routine when it obviously works.

I'll just pick a future house that won't need as much of it.

I have a future project in my head that's a converted hip-roofed barn, made into an open and kind of loft-y house, but I haven't been able to find a barn kit that would be large enough for the interior look I want, and I'm not planning to jump from first kit to scratch build. We will find something else first.