Hello from the UK

Wisteria

Hi everyone, I have been lurking in the forum for about three months and thought it was time to say hello :-)

I'm in Norfolk in the UK and am doing my first house, a four storey townhouse which I am decorating in an Edwardian style.

I have learned so much already from this forum and love reading all the questions and seeing all the answers too!

The thing I am most struggling with at the moment is the lighting! Copper tape had already been placed in all of the rooms of the house (someone started it but didn't get very far). I seem to be ok on fixing ceiling lights in all of the rooms apart from the attic! I am coming up through the ceiling to the floor above, but can't work out what I do in the attic? Any help would be appreciated :-)

I also would love any suggestions on how to make brass light fixtures not so shiny and new!

Hi Alice, welcome to the group.

You could always put wall lights in the attic or depending on the style of the house, run a piece of U cross section trim - often sold as staircase handrail trim, along the ceiling and run you wires inside that until you get to the copper tape.

As for shiny new brass, try Humbrol metallic paints to tone it down a bit.

Welcome to the little family, Alice. Depending on how grungy you want your brass there's always acetone, and some "interesting" results can be had with salt and vinegar or lemon juice. Is this a Dolls' House Emporium house with basement? I also like the Edwardian/ pre-WW I style, although lately I'm tinkering with Craftsman and pre-WW II.

Thanks Holly and Jo for your replies. I have thought about wall lights but would really prefer to have a ceiling light if possible.

I would like to just tone down the brass, Holly, what sort of effect does the acetone or vinegar etc give?

I'm not at all sure who made the house because I bought it off eBay, but I have seen very similar ones in other places. It has two rooms in the basement and then three more floors.

I love Edwardian and have lots of ideas, but I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that this won't be my only house:-)

Hi and welcome Alice! A basement and three floors Wow! If it is from Dollshouse Emporium there will be a "medallion" on the outside back panel. I'm working on Wentworth Court with a basement. Will look forward to pictures of your house.

The acetone and vinegar/salt combo will tarnish the heck out of brass. If you just want to calm it down, go with paint. And you're right on, building dollshouses is like eating chips...

Thanks for all your welcomes :-)

There is no plaque on the back of the house so don't think it is a DHE house. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

I did paint a table lamp with acrylic paint and I liked how that came out. I think I will think about the ceiling one, perhaps I will get a bit more of a metallic paint so that it is not a matt finish?

I have done some antiquing of shiny brass using a wash of acrylic paint and water, followed by a matte sealer. It toned down the shininess and brought out the details of the metal (it was an ornate door plate) nicely. I used burnt sienna, but black or dark gray would also work.