Hinges

I am trying to put on the hinges for the front opening doors of the 1:24 Eastside Townhouse. I am having trouble getting the screws to screw in straight so the head is flush with the hinge. The screws seem to want to take their own course. They are only 3/8" screws. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Have you tried predrilling the holes for the screws?

I end up breaking the drill. This is going in MDF. RGT suggests drilling starter holes which I tried or punch and ream.

I am definitely NOT an expert in woodworking at all, but what I did when adding the hinges to my MDF houses, was to hammer a smaller nail half way into the spot and then remove it. This made a hole that the screw would kind of follow. I also pushed really hard on the screwdriver making sure that it went in as straight as I could. (Some of my screws are not totally flush but near enough)

(Never heard of "punch and ream", and I think it means what I just said I did) Hope someone with real know how chimes in.

I am definitely NOT an expert in woodworking at all, but what I did when adding the hinges to my MDF houses, was to hammer a smaller nail half way into the spot and then remove it. This made a hole that the screw would kind of follow. I also pushed really hard on the screwdriver making sure that it went in as straight as I could. (Some of my screws are not totally flush but near enough)

(Never heard of "punch and ream", and I think it means what I just said I did) Hope someone with real know how chimes in.

Thanks Holly and Sam! Punch and ream is what you described Sam. Punching is using a nail and reaming is using a utility knife around the edges so the head of the screw is flush.

I guess I'll try that next. I was afraid I wouldn't pound the nail straight up and down with my clumsy, somewhat arthritic hands and working with 1:24. Didn't have any problems with side entrance on large Victoria's Farmhouse.

Guess I have my project for the afternoon!

Try holding the punching nail in a pair of locking pliers just below the top of the nail; I have a similar problem with the arthritic joints and nailing straight.

Thanks Holly! Never thought of that.

The hinges are in and the front panels up!!! This was of course after I put the hinges on "inside out".

I found in the basement a Dremel Multi Pro that I purchased years ago with the intent of using around the house. I never did. So it sat and I forgot about it. Anyway, I took the screw to Ryders Hobby Store and they told me what drill to buy. Took care of the MDF in no time at all.

Am I glad that job is done!!! Yea.