HELP!

cjack

Once again I am back begging for help! I am installing wall outlets in my Willowcrest and thinking I might have shorted out my transformer. I am using a 10volt transformer and have only about 1/2 of the lights installed. (I do know that the wiring is correct because the lights that I do have, are (were) working) While testing each outlet to be sure it worked, I noticed that the junction splice was pretty warm and the transformer was warming up. When I got to the 3rd outlet to test, nothing worked anymore. Have I blown my transformer and if so, what did I do wrong? I have never wired a house before so not sure if testing while not having all the lights plugged in was bad or not. Please, please help. I have put so much work into this and will just be sick if I have done permanent damage that can't be repaired. Any and all help will be very much appreciated! Cathy

Cathy,

Ok, a few questions.

10 volt transformer? Where did you get that? Most sold in US are 12 volts AC type. This may or may not be related to the problem. You did not mention if you were using tape wire or round wire.

If the wiring (like the junction splice) is getting warm that is usually a sign of a short circuit. That means the two wires used in the circuit could somehow be connected DIRECTLY to each other and they should not be.

Most of the NEWER transformers have a built in circuit breaker. Some may have a fuse instead. Look for a fuse or button. If you see a fuse (inline sometimes) check that. If you see a button push it. If you see neither the circuit breaker is most likely built in. To reset it, unplug the transformer from both the wall AND the junction splice and wait about five minutes. Plug it back into the wall and test with your test lamp on the output wires of the transformer. In other words check across the two pins that plug into the junction splice while it is NOT plugged in to the house. If this works you know the problem is NOT the transformer but some where in the house wiring or fixtures.

With NO lamps plugged in (or wired in) then the two wires that run thru the house should NOT be connected to each other. IF they are, (usually an accident OR a bad fixture) then there is a short. To continue you must locate and eliminate that problem. And as much as I hate to say it, if it's what's needed it will involve cutting your circuits to narrow down the location. But before doing that look closely at ANY place you have spliced tapes or wires together, soldered, or made any type of connection. Look closely at any installed fixtures. Doing an extremely detailed VISUAL inspection of this type may locate the problem without the need for destroying and redoing much of your work.

If you cannot get a good light test on the transformer when it is NOT connected to the house and a circuit breaker or bad fuse wasn't found you may have blown the transformer. If this is the case you'll need a new transformer. Make sure the replacement has the power to light the number of lamps you intend to have, AND make sure you have eliminated any potential short circuit that could have caused the first transformer to blow.

Things that can cause a transformer to go bad are:

1 - A short circuit in the load (ie - in the wiring of your house)

2 - Having too much load which exceeds the rating of the transformer.

3 - Failure of a fuse or circuit breaker to blow out and save the trasnformer from either of the first two items.

4 - An internal failure or defect in the transformer itself. (Like a short)

Print this out and see what you can find out and let me know of your results. I'll be around today and tomorrow then back to part time again and see if I can offer further advice based on your findings.

You can do it!

smiles,

Darrell

Ha, funny you should mention this! :(

The lights went out on my Beacon Hill the other night and I couldn't for the life of me think why. Brian asked if the transformer was warm . . . yep . . . so the transformer shut itself down. I added two more lights (turet and conservatory) for a total of 29 lights on 20 watts. Not enough power! So, I ordered a 40 watt transformer. Hopefully, that does the trick! :o

Darrell

Thank you so very much for your input. I can't believe I gave you so little information and you still managed to pinpoint my problem. And, what little info I gave you was wrong. It is indeed a 12v transformer. I was looking at the 10watts and that is what stuck in my head. And I am using the tape wire method. But, as usual, I found my answer on this forum. I am so glad there are people out there like you who can help novices like me. In placing my outlets, I did get one of them in the wrong place. Half of the outlet was correct but the other half was not. Amazing how that little error really caused a major problem. I am attaching a photo taken just now to prove that you helped me out and my lights are now working again. Thank you, thank you, thank you! post-649-1157574774_thumb.jpg

cathy,

I'm happy that I was able to help. In a very short time you'll be able to help people too. There are only so many things that can cause the problem, and these can be counted on our fingers. The only difficulty when looking for a problem of this sort is WHERE it may be. Knowing WHAT it is, is only the first part of solving it.

What I attempted to show you was how to first, decide if the problem was in the transformer or the wiring. That's the first step of splitting the possible locations down. Once you know it's in the wiring the most obvious places to look are where ever there is a CONNECTION that we made. Lamp, fixture, plug, switch, splice. Doesn't matter what kind of connection it is, it's just more likely that we got a brad in crooked and it's touching both conductors OR we managed to solder two brads together (one from each conductor) or something like that. And rest assurred I have done all of these things. LOL!

At any rate, I'm glad it is now working and by the way... Your house is looking GREAT so far. I especially like the cat peeking in the door checking out the lights too. Looks like a scene out of a cartoon, with the cat wondering where the mice (or tiny people, or some such fun to hunt things) are hiding. LOL!

smiles,

Darrell