Backdrops,How to..for scale models

JohnReid

Backyardflyer007-1.jpg

This pic is pretty much self-explanatory.I made my roof with tongue depressors although for the smaller scales coffee stir stiks would work just as well.

One thing it doesn't explain; do you use the Shoe Goo to stick the shingles down?

Backyardflierfacade033.jpg

99% of my stuff is done with hand tools.On occasion I will use a belt sander or a rotary burr to save some time on hand sanding but even these tools are not really necessary.

Scratch building is easy and cheap to do once you get used to used to working with the materials.

th_Roof002-1.jpg

Click on thumbnail for a bigger pic and more of them

I do not seal the bare wood shingles. I paint each one with thin washes of gray flat acrylic and let it soak in. Be sure to let some of the underlying wood grain show through.Finish with chalk pastels,brown, gray, black etc..The pastels will stick because of the rough surface but you could use a spray matte fixative if you want as a sealer.

Mine are going in glass cases so I don't bother with the final step,besides the acrylic gray paint acts as a sealer itself.

Linda, check the art supply section of your local bigbox craft store (Hobby Lobby, AC Moore)for a four-pack of related colors (like grays & black) or an art supply store, brick & mortar or on line (Utrecht's, Pearl, D i c k Blick, etc) for individulal sticks of chalk pastels. BTW, I'm just a baby, I won't be 70 until a week from Weds.

Linda, check the art supply section of your local bigbox craft store (Hobby Lobby, AC Moore)for a four-pack of related colors (like grays & black) or an art supply store, brick & mortar or on line (Utrecht's, Pearl, D i c k Blick, etc) for individulal sticks of chalk pastels. BTW, I'm just a baby, I won't be 70 until a week from Weds.

Long story short I finally found set of grey chalk on Hobby Lobby at 40% discount I will add... I had $10 sitting in pay pal so I am set. Will get correct paint for water color paper soon and continue project. yayyy :banana:

Happy Birthday early :cheers: .

so sorry I butted in to Johns thread but needed this info. thanks to you both........

LindaC