Another poly clay question

maresiedotes

I use push molds and hard molds. You can make your own molds from jewelry, shells, found objects, whatever.

If you use push or hard molds be sure to VERY lightly dust the mold with talcum powder. If you use too much it will show on your clay, if you don't use any your item, or parts of it will stick in the mold-esp hard molds.

And don't forget to condition, condition, condition!

Hope this helps.

Carol

I use and make my own polymer and plaster push molds but I don't use any kind of powder on the inside. The only time I notice sticking is in my polymer ones if I use the mold too many times in a row and it warms up from my hands - then the clay tends to get alittle too soft and sticks to some of the spots - when that happens I just set the mold a side for a few minutes for it to cool down. I have noticed paperclay tending to stick sometimes though and that's another great use for your molds - to put in paperclay which makes some cool architectural details for houses :lol:

There's not much you can do to mess up making a push mold in polymer clay. Just get a piece big enough for what you want to press the original piece into. Make sure there is enough for the item's depth and to make a nice boarder around it, so it's easy to work with. Form it into an an appropriate shape (flat and square or round - I'm partial to round so it looks like a really fat disk shape) and press your original into it. The only thing I really worry about it is getting the piece pressed in nice and straight and more importantly lifting it out straight - sometimes I find a gentle wiggle or rockign motiion to get the original out is helpful - then bake your mold at the package recommended temp and time and you have your very own pushmold :(

-David :)

Marie,

I forgot to add that if you rock the original too much in taking it out it will make the mold bigger than the original but the really cool thing is sometimes you can sort of just pinch the sides very gently and it'll go right back into place - and if it doesn't you just mush it up and do it again :lol: Making molds is super easy and I find it really relaxing. Of course I do get some strange looks when I'm going through the junk jewelry at flea markets and thrift shops :lol: I'm determined that someday I'm going to run into a lionhead doorknocker earring that I've heard tell they made in the 70's - how cool would that be to have for a house! :lol: yea!

Oh - and let us all know how your first tries with making your own molds are - I think it's as addicting as house building :)

-David :(

When I use molds - my own home-made, or store-bought ones - I do dust with baby powder first. Both the mold, and the clay that will go in the mold. After brushing on the powder with a soft paintbrush, I blow it off, and blow again. It looks like all the powder has been blown away, but there is actually a fine layer left - just enough to prevent sticking, but not enough to spoil the look of the molded item. It's important to determine the deepest part of the mold. For instance, on a face mold the deepest part is usually the nose. Form your conditioned clay into a cone, or blunt rocket shape. Aim the point of the cone for the deepest part of your mold. Push the clay in evenly, trying to fill all the crevices of the mold without air pockets forming. You need to start with more clay than you need to fill the mold. That way, you have leftover clay to use as a "handle" to lift out the molded portion. As David said, it's important to push the clay straight in, and lift straight out, so that no distortion occurs. I love making and using molds. I also check the costume jewellery - some cuff links, rings and pendants have classical figures done in relief - these make wonderful wall plaques! ;) When making molds, you should bear in mind that any undercuts in your original will not be moldable. (If you want to mold something that curves in and under, you will have to fill in those areas first, and work on the molded piece later to carve them out. The clay must be able to lift out cleanly, or it can't hold the shape.) Is that clear enough? If not, just tell me, and I will try to explain another way.