do not like the stairs, suggestions?

snowblossum

I started putting together the Lafeyette house, this is my first attempt at making a dollhouse. My brother found it at a second hand store, so it would not have been my first pick. I like it but do not like the spiral stairs. I have decided not to use them. But what could I do instead. One option is no stairs but it does have an opening for stairs. Any suggestions?

I do want some type of stairs. No stairs is a last option well second last to the set with the house. I like the house otherwise. Well I am modifying the front porch a bit to be a bit more open.

Do you know if there is an instructional help for making the ladder?

I see what you mean - it kinda has the feel of a ladder. Similarly, the staircase in my cambride whitney were kinda poor because they were open in back. I used posterboard to close up the back, make it fit into the wall, and look more finished. You can't tell it's not wood. Maybe you could imporve your staircase this way. Check this out:

http://smehreen-dollhouse.blogspot.com/200...-dollhouse.html

I don't have any handy, but if someone has their punchouts from a set of kit stairs with stringers they could trace for you, you could use the tracing for a pattern to make your own stairs. This is how I made stairs for my 1:24 Fairfield to go to the attic:

gallery_8_3404_51166.jpg

I used craft sticks to make the treads and risers for the steps, and I used a pin vise to drill holes on each side of each tread for the balusters. I put in the balusters and turrned the stairs on their side to add the banister rail.

I also made ladders for the 1:24 scale Lighthouse, after it was built and I realized I had forgotten to cut the holes through the floors for the spiral stairs I'd originally planned to make:

gallery_8_3403_20415.jpg

As Susan mentioned, you can add cardboard or posterboard or foamcore to the back to close up or finish off your stairs.

On my Winston that I just started building I am not using the stairs. This is the only house I have done this in. It will be a Christmas house all decorated, and I don't want the stairs to take up any room. I filled in the hole with wood.

I have this ladder that is pretty nice. Only $6.00 at: http://www.manorhouseminis.com/product.asp?Sku=CLA70251

CLA70251.jpg

I have another packaged dollhouse which I have not opened yet. I think I will open it and see what size the stairs are. I don't feel stuck cause I can always add a set of stairs like the ladder one in the pic above. I live in Canada so will wait til I need more things to make it worth the shipping.

Thanks for the help.

Somewhere I think I've seen a tutorial for making a ladder. If you use 3/16" or 1/4" strips for the sides you can cut or rout 1/8" grooves/ slots for the sides of the steps. The trick is to figure the angle of ascent for the ladder.

I decided to move the opening for the stairs and go with a ladder type stair. I want the realism of stairs. This way there is more room with a ladder and better visualization of the interior with the placement changed. I already closed in the spiral staircase house and cut a new one for the ladder. Note to self to do this prior to assembling. But for sure learning on as I build this house.