April's Beacon Hill

swishworm

:angry: This is my first dollhouse! I am so new to all of this, and so excited!

I just sent away for a set of instructions and a schematic for my place. This way I will know exactly what is missing, or maybe what should have been done a bit differently. I was given my BH by my neighbour, fully built along with several boxes of furniture. She is now my "Favorite Neighbour!"

Some of the pieces are coming off quite easily, so I'm bagging and labelling them for now. Complete staircase came out, oops! Trying to remove wallpaper, what's the best way to do this?? Large pieces come off quite easily with a small scraper, while other pieces just want you to have the top layer. Fabric was glued down as a carpet in one of the rooms...How do I get this cleaned up...sanding?? Oh my!!! Power tools!!

I checked out the local craft store here in town...Half an isle...I see online shopping in my future!!!

Going to go and gaze at my new house, cuppa' tea in my hand, everyone asleep...Life is Great!

April

If it is hot glue you can use a hair dryer to soften the glue and pull it apart. If the material if glued with white glue you can wet it and it should come up. If you use warm/hot water it works better. You can also score and wet the wall paper to help it come off. Just be carefull not to get it too wet and let the wood dry flat ( weight it if you have too) to help prevent warping. Have fun and take pics. :angry:

Oh, April, you are in for a lot of fun (maybe a little frustration, at times, but it's all fun when you make that puppy YOURS) :angry:

Complete staircase came out, oops!
You'll be SO glad when you repaper the foyer, I understand. Besides, you may want to refinish the stairway.

to remove wallpaper, what's the best way to do this??

If plain warm water doesn't do it, you may try adding a little vineger to the water to dissolve the glue. Ditto with the fabric on the floor. More than one layer of wallpaper? Shades of a 60+ year old house we once lived in & redecorated! For future reference, you may want to make templates of the walls & floors and make cardstock patterns from the templates. Cover (or paint) the pieces of card instead of gluing directly to the walls & floors to facilitate redecorating later on. You may want to sand any glue residue that doesn't succumb to the gair dryer or water-vinegar treatments. You can make a sanding block from bits of scrapwood that'll get into tight spaces far better than a power sander.

:angry: Thanks for the advice...I don't think a glue gun was used in construction, pieces seem to be popping off very easily. Pieces (especially window areas) have yellowed where something has been glued onto it...maybe carpenters glue, it's yellow??

Bought my first tool...a 2" wall scraper, my helper (3yr old.) received a plastic version - he's a BIG fan of tools...any kind. I can see some wall paper coming off very soon!!

All in all though, this is definately going to be an adventure!

April

Warm water and vinegar worked like a charm...thanks havanaholly!! Most of the rooms have been stripped, floors also. Now I have to tackle the Tower walls...Can the tower be removed easily?? (I know I should wait for my instructions to arrive by mail, but I can't!!) :D

I am wanting to change the staircase. Does anyone have some hints or suggestions on how I can do this myself! I just want straight ones, for each floor. I have to change the direction of the hole on the second floor, how do I go about filling the hole that is there?? I am also thinking about making the kitchen area bigger, by extending the baywall out 3-4" and still being able to have a flat roof. Any thoughts? <_<

Hmm...decisions, decisions!!! :lol:

April :D