Paper Clay Tute and how much is needed!

Shelly N

Hi! I have (I think) searched all of the forums for a paperclay Tute! I would like to do the Orchid kit that I won here on this forum in the paperclay. I need (would like) to know how much I am going to approximately need and if anyone can point me in the right direction for a tute on using it.

Thanks

Shelly In CO..............

***********Took me long enough huh!!!!!***************************

Tracy's fireplace class here on the forum is an excellent tutorial for working with paperclay. I still haven't figured out how to gauge how much to use yet, so I just get a whole bunch and hope that it's enough. ;) I just finished an old world fireplace for my faerie cottage out of paperclay and have completely fallen in love with with the stuff. It's *so* easy to work with and the results are excellent. The fireplace was so much fun that I made leaf shaped living room chairs and a coffee table too. I'm starting to think that there's nothing that can't be done with that magic stuff. I can't wait to see how your Orchid comes out! Besides paperclaying the exterior, what else do you have in mind for it?

Deb

HI Deb, I am truly working on going with a haunted house/ wizardy look BUT if this house is anything like my dolls that I do, I start out with a picture in my mind and very seldom does it come out the way I have envisioned it....I would love to have flying objects in this house! Will see what I end up with......

The weather is finally nice enough to work outside here and have most of my landscaping of the yard done it is time to start a big new project! I will go check out the fireplace tute....I have used paper clay once to make a quarter scale Old world kitchen roombox but just rolled up little balls and then squished them onto the board. They look like the rounded rocks. Was pretty cool but not sure about the laying and cutting .............so we will see.

I was trying to needlefelt a lion and ended up with a Monkey, the kind with the fur around it's face!

I was trying to needlefelt a lion and ended up with a Monkey, the kind with the fur around it's face!

Well, you wanted to make flying things for your witches house!! Put it on some invisible thread and voila! You have a flying monkey!! ;)

It sounds like a great plan for the Orchid. I made mine a witches house too and loved every minute of it. Something about that house is just magickal. :) Once you start with the paperclay, you'll have a ball with it. I was apprehensive about using it before I tried it, coz I flunked playdoh in grade school, but it's just soooooooo much fun. You'll gonna love it.

Deb

....I have used paper clay once to make a quarter scale Old world kitchen roombox but just rolled up little balls and then squished them onto the board. They look like the rounded rocks. Was pretty cool but not sure about the laying and cutting .............so we will see.

Hi Shelly,

I'm using paperclay for my wizards cottage also. I got so tired of trying to roll out bits of it with my little lucite roller (for my polymer clay) that I went out to the dollar store and bought a wooden rolling pin. I figured the stuff already reminds me of pie dough why not? Works great! Now I can roll out larger sheets of it (it does stick to my "cutting board" (craft mat) but not any worse than pie dough does to a regular cutting board, (I've been tempted to try to use talc with it to keep it from sticking but haven't tried it yet. I can roll out enough to at least to a good section of wall - and I can follow the lines on the craft mat to get a nice square cut with my craft blade. Before I got the bigger rolling pin I'd just roll out what ever I could or flatten some in my hand and push it on and then just keep blending the pieces together on the wall. Either way works fine, this stuff is really forgiving! But the mat and rolling pin do save time.

Hope this helps some,

David ;)

still haven't figured out how to gauge how much to use yet, so I just get a whole bunch and hope that it's enough.

Well Deb,I have not figured it out either ;) I know I did one Arthur house for a customer 3 years ago (The entire thein but the roof) and I used 5 packs of clay. I wrote it down. Then I did one last year WITH the shingles and used the same amount of clay Hhmmmm, I don't know how that was possible but I did and I know the Arthur did not shrink :)

I used the same amount of clay too. I get the same size bags each time I order. I have not done the Orchid in paperclay yet. It's coming though.

:)

Take Notes and tell us how much clay you use Shelly. Just jump right in and do it!!! Stop being a Scardey Cat ;) :D

Hi David, I had thought about trying to use the pasta machine, anyway the clay version for rolling the sheets out. Has anyone else done it this way?

Works great! Now I can roll out larger sheets of it (it does stick to my "cutting board" (craft mat) but not any worse than pie dough does to a regular cutting board
Guess I am just going to have to start playing...Should I try to do some of the wallpapering inside before I apply the paper clay? Anyone?

Take Notes and tell us how much clay you use Shelly. Just jump right in and do it!!! Stop being a Scardey Cat

LOL, the problem is that I have NOT worked in 1" scale hardly at all! Most of what I have done is 1/4" and smaller, wondering here if I should start out with the GL towns and paperclay all of them? English garden style...........Hey that's an idea!

Hi David, I had thought about trying to use the pasta machine, anyway the clay version for rolling the sheets out. Has anyone else done it this way?

I haven't tried it myself - but I've heard it works really well. I have a pasta machine - just a regular old hand crank pasta machine and it works great for polymer clay - I should have thought about trying it for paperclay too Doh! :) Now why didn't I think of that? :)

I think if you've been working in 1/4" inch scale 1" scale should be easy I have a fear of trying to work in anything smaller than 1:12 - I'm learning but it just seems so tiny ;)

Oh yea you asked if you should do wallpapering before some of the paperclay.. I haven't used them together on the same house yet, but I'm thinking I'd probably do the paperclay first so I don't have to worry about getting any smudges of it on wallpaper, but I'm a messy worker. ;)

-David

LOL, the problem is that I have NOT worked in 1" scale hardly at all! Most of what I have done is 1/4" and smaller, wondering here if I should start out with the GL towns and paperclay all of them? English garden style...........Hey that's an idea!

And a mighty fine idea it is too!! That would just be totally cool!

Well Deb,I have not figured it out either ;)

<sighing with relief> Tracy, you make me feel so much better when you say that. You're *the* paperclay guru and when you can be so relaxed about it, it makes me relax too. I'm reeeeeeeeeally starting to love paperclay a LOT! Is there anything that can't be done with this stuff?

Deb

Is there anything that can't be done with this stuff?

HAve you seen Tori West's website? She has created all types of things using paperclay. I also know a lady who makes dolls with it and they come out beautiful!

I thik they have an additive in the clay that makes us addicted to it because I can happily say I am addicted to this stuff too :unsure:

Hi! I have (I think) searched all of the forums for a paperclay Tute! I would like to do the Orchid kit that I won here on this forum in the paperclay. I need (would like) to know how much I am going to approximately need and if anyone can point me in the right direction for a tute on using it.

Thanks

Shelly In CO..............

***********Took me long enough huh!!!!!***************************

Can't wait to see how it turns out!!!!!!!!!!!!