My yard sale find...

LisaN

Actually, I found out from a lady on the Camp yahoo group that it is actually a Strawberry Patch kit from Walmer? who was bought out by RGT. You can still buy the house, Tracey, and it also has a wing kit that can be added to each side, (the milled wing kit is really cheap, and it also has hinged doors) I plan to buy the siding and shingle kit to side this house in, and custom make the bulls' eye window in the attic. Later if they Woodenhouse family needs more room--I will buy the additional wing for it. This house has been so much fun

And doing a train room is easy, I looked at articles in Miniature Gazette and DHM from past issues of folks who have done it--and painting the walls to blend with the scenery is easy too--it's really easy to paint with acrylics--I just used a few techniques of Donna Dewberry.

Thank you so much for looking!

Yes, I thought the lurid pink awful for this grand house. It closely resembles some of the houses about here in Va. from the late 1860's- 1900's, especially when I saw how siding was applied to it. When I started looking about on sites on the internet, I was amazed at how much this house can be enlarged, bashed, etc. The only things that did not come with my yard sale buy was the windows, door, and roof. I plan to improvise the roof and make it hinged so it opens from the front to the back, instead of hinged from the middle. The roof right now is last on my list; right now cutting those windows and door to fit are first, then the siding. :p

Haven't got to the little boys' room yet, I am having so much fun with the train room right now. Forgot to tell you how I made the 'tunnel' that the little train on the floor appears to be coming out of ---it was made from an egg carton, mounted on foam insulation, mounted on balsa wood, then covered with plaster cloth. The front brick tunnel entrance is made of paperclay. I then painted it with washes and landscaped it. I made the base for the Lionelville ornament with foam insulation and train plaster cloth also. The trees are toothpicks with the 'grass' applied for leaves.

Thank you so much for looking! :lol:

Lisa -

The train room is great. There's not room in a dollhouse to just lay down a train track, let alone tunnels and buildings. Turning the attic into a train room is a fabulous idea.

-Susanne

Actually, this is my answer to a longing for a train set. Hubby & I watch train dvd's we get from Garden Railroad on Saturdays, and our favorite show on HGTV is Workin' on the Railroad. We love the structures and landscaping actually more than the actual signifigance of a train. I lean towards N & Z scale, he leans more towards HO because of all the kit possibilities. We both would love a working steam engine train for G scale in the yard, but not possible with two cats who live outside, the maintenance would be a nightmare. So this is my answer to it--a dollhouse train room!lol!

Heidi, the birdcage came from Miniature Memories in Folly Beach, S.C. I highly recommend Joan's shop--she is a wonderful lady in person, and she is very reasonably priced. I & my friends order from her quite frequently.

The owl in the cage is by our resident animal artisan here on GL, Anya!

We love the structures and landscaping actually more than the actual signifigance of a train.

Finally! Someone who can share my irritation that when you visit a model railroad Web site, everyone is obsessing about the trains! :angry: We bought some old HO buildings in Vienna, and all I wanted to do was ID the ones that weren't marked. (Okay, I wanted to find out about vintage buildings in general, so I could *cough* *cough* buy more.) No -- it's all trains, trains, trains! And how to set up a layout that runs past realistic mixes of industry, rather than happy pale yellow and pink buildings (like mine!).

I like trains in the way that I like anything small and brightly colored, but I don't think we're actually going to run any.

post-5-1149086467_thumb.jpg

Calamari, I LOVE those!! They look wonderful. I have a train set and have been waiting for a basement before I would put it together. I want a neighborhood of dollhouses and thought that would be the best way to go. My items are HO scale too.

:angry: