Beacon Hill Siding--How much should I order?

My father bought the Beacon Hill and assembled it over 20 years ago. It was never sided or painted and I'd like to get started on it so my 17 month old daughter can enjoy it someday. The siding was lost over all those years and I need to order it online. How many bags do I need to get in order to completely cover the house?

Would those of you experienced with the Beacon Hill suggest I paint the trim and shutters before siding? Should I paint the siding before applying? What kind of paint do I use?

Thanks!!

I am building a BH right now, I have the exterior finished for the most part. I used the siding that came with the kit, so I guess to find out how much you need to order, just take the measurements of the front and sides as a whole, and order a little extra maybe. I put on the siding and cut out the areas for the windows by dry fitting them, then painted the siding and windows and shutters all separate. I tried painting whatever I could before putting it on the house, except for the porch, I had that all assembled, so I had to paint it right on the house. I also stained the shingles before gluing them to the roof. Good luck!

I just ordered siding for my Tennyson --the Greenleaf or Corona clapboard siding comes approx 60 pieces- 12"X 3/4 ", individual strips---it's supposed to cover 360 sq. inches...not sure if that helps because I used the siding that went with the kit for my BH...

I painted mine before applying it. I have seen many paint it once it's on the house---guess it's just personal preference. Awhile back, there was a big debate over whether you should put the windows on before you side vs. side first, then add windows.... Gina (Butterflyex) who's built 2 (in record amount time I must say :blink:!! ) has done it both ways, and feels that siding before adding windows is best, if I remember correctly. (I know that wasn't your question, but thought that might be interesting to know :rofl:

I'm weird, I actually thought siding was fun...I guess I felt like I was making progress :)

I was going to suggest that you go into the GL store and check out the BH because it usually state how much is needed for the kit. I didn't realise that the siding came with the kit along with the shingles.

Now I know!! I have the BH under my daughters bed, I need to finish about five other houses and clean up my work area before I start it. Apparently the BH is pretty big!!!

Sorry I couldn't help.

Dar

The siding that comes with the Beacon Hill kit is super thin strips of wood that are applied one by one, so it was much easier to paint once on the house, becuase I wasn't sure if it would warp a bunch if I tried doing it before attaching. But if you buy siding, it may be thicker, or in larger chunks, so painting it beforehand would make sense.

I luckily didn't have much problem with warping by painting before, even with really thin trim....I painted it,waited for it to dry a bit, then covered with wax paper, and weighted with heavy books...

I'm somewhat of a rotten painter--I wound up tearing off a section of siding that I glued up first, then painted---I put the paint on a little too thick or used 1 too many coats to get a better color--and all the paint too away some of the definition of the siding, ick.

You can always try it both ways and see which works better :wave: