Paperclay help

minicurios

Hi,

I would love to use some "Paperclay" on my houses but as I am in Austrlia Paerclay is unavailable here.

Could someone please tell me the difference between Paperclay or Das air drying clay. Are they different and if so what is the difference as Das is available here and in plain or terracotta colours. Thanks :lol: Andrea

Actually, there are only small "End result" differeances in Paper clay and Das. Paper clay does not have any odor Das Clay does. Das clay is a little harder to handle but if that is all you have worked with there is no big issue. it takes heavier dirty washes than paper clay and it is a little harder to sculpt than the paperclay. Das clay goes further than paper clay and keeps longer in it's original unopend pack. Paper clay can dry out faster unopened in it's original unopened pack.

These issues are so slight that they are almost not important to me. The only thing that really bugs me about Das clay is the smell. I don't like it but as ihe clay hardens, the smell fad away. If you go to my webshots album, I have an album called mossy manor. one of them is done with paper clay and the other one with paperclay. I would have to look it up in my notes to figure out which one is which.

The end result looks just as good. Oh, also paper clay dries in a off white color and Das dries in a light gray color. Those are the only things I can think of right now. Hope this helps!

Tracey is right. DAS STINKS! :lol:

You can order paperclay on-line, even though you aren't in the states. Go to www.creativepaperclay.com and they have an online shopping cart. I hope this helps. This appears to be one of the few suppliers that you can get it in blocks larger than 8 ounces. I like the big packages myself.

Since you live in Australia, I do not know if you suffer the severe humidity we do here in the southern states---that's where I live, and I keep the paperclay even in its original package in a very cool place. If you have alot of dry heat, or humidity, this will force you to slather it up with water frequently. Use a good wood glue like Elmer's wood glue toa dhere it to wood. And keep a large cup of water and brush nearby--it is similar to clay slip, only more stable. Just keep it moist when working with it.

Paint it in several washes, it's called a 'dirty ' wash, first of diluted black paint, grey, then some brown, depending on whether it's stones, brick or timbers you are sculpting.

In my webshots--http://community.webshots.com/user/lisan204

and user/lisaneault you can see a few things I've done with it. I have even made paperclay wedding cakes....liquifying the paperclay and making my yellow Rose of Texas cake. So it has many more versatile possibilities than DAS.

I have 2 projects before I get to try another paperclay project.

it is my plan to build the Newberg kit I have(it is missing alot of parts)

and than I want to paperclay the outside.

if it turns out the way I want it to it will be a elementery school for young magic folks

if it turns out like a mess it will be my witches house/shop

so I will take all these tips and hints. Tracy was so sweet as to put in her blog a paperclay toutorial and that helped so much to visulise how it is supose to look and her painting tips helped make it seam like I could also create that look.

question.....wood glue? I use Aileens tacky glue....can this be used?

Im sure Ill have more questions as I get started.

nutti :lol:

one thing I forgot to mention, if adhering it to wood, it might help to sand the kit, or piece you are using to rough it up a little, this helps the clay to adhere. I have had the most trouble with cracking and splitting, which comes from the clay either being to thin when it dries. DON'T USE FOAMCORE AS YOUR BASE! :lol: i did this once on a project and had to put more work into that project since it was not as stable as wood. Fortunately, I have been lucky and cracks in my paperclay projects were always easy to fix--with the added plus of an OOPS! looking more realistic.

You can use Aleenes tacky glue but I will tell you, I had MORE cracking when I did so you may want to use the wood glue and be sure to spread it evenly on the surface youwish to use. That will help with warpage too. :p

Nutti, I am glad that blog was some help for you! :p

Rik uses Titebond, and Weldebond glue from what I can gather. I have had a few friends take his classes, and that is what they have used. The clay still cracks, but not as much. I firmly believe the more humid the climate, the more cracking you will have.. Titebond is pricey, but it is worth it, and always look on the oops! shelf at Home Depot, sometimes someone brings it back.

Otherwise, if you're on a budget, use Elmer's wood glue......I sort of swear by my Elmer's glue, and constantly buy it when it is on sale.

If you look in my webshots user/lisaneault, you will see a couple of wedding cakes like my Yellow Rose of Texas made of paperclay. I even made the roses and leaves out of liquified paperclay....You can make frosting with paperclay, but it is not as real as 3 dimensional paints