family tree

kellee

Not FAMILY problems so far as immediate family is concerned; DH is the one with the geneology "bug" (one of his distant cousins - paternal grandmother's first cousin - is a former President) and he was doing some online research into my father's family and found a "first" wife listed that wasn't my Mother (who was his first wife) and turned out to be his older brother's wife! Once we figured it out we contacted the site owner to correct the info and never heard back (and, to my knowledge, no changes were made), so I take a dim view of geneology sites.

You are absolutely right, Holly! I learned that you must find documention (census, etc.) to verify every fact. I think some people don't really care about truth as much as tracing their family back to Adam! :wub:

I've always envied people who had enough family knowledge that they could even consider making a family tree.

Hi Grazhina,

Your statement is very thought provoking, and reminds me to appreciate my extended family (even though some of them are nuts).

Mary

I laugh at family secrets. My dad had a great uncle who ran with Jesse James and robbed banks, but that's the most exciting we've got. Oh, an my family's clan was kicked out of Scotland and had to flee to Ireland. Yep, the whole clan. Really facinating stuff once you start researching.

My gram's neighbor used to brag about how she was in the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution). She'd go on and on about it and thinking it was something important, like some Mayflower decendents do, but then I was told that her connection was that their ancestor was a water boy in the army. All that bragging for a water boy. I had a great-great-something-or-other grandfather who was in the Revolution and fought in the Battle of Brandywine, but we've never persued anything because only anecdotal records exist. The records were burnt in the War of 1812 according to family history.

The more I get into geneaolgy the more I learn about history. I didn't learn anything about local Pennsylvania history in school. It wasn't until I started working with my mom that I became interested in it. The more I read, the more facinating it all becomes.