Siding

sammything

Opinions on this? I'm getting ready to order some first supplies, including siding. The siding will be painted, so I'm wonering if there's a benefit to paying more for real wood, vs the mdf? Pros and cons? I want the house to look fabulous, but as a student, price counts.

Also, wood flooring...any better than the others?

Thanks in advance,

Lori "I'll have pics up soon as the walls start to rise"

If you want an easy paint job, go MDF. It takes the paint really smoothly with no additional prep work. (I'd go MDF.)

If your goal is to have a house that looks like a real house, down to the brushstrokes in the paint work, go with wood.

If you want to do siding on the cheap and have access to a papercutter you could recycle old manila file folders, they'd paint up nice & smooth. I'm discovering the versatility of the Greenleaf siding strips for uses other than siding.

Hi Sammy,

Can't help you with the siding question but I really like the wood flooring that you buy in sheets. It looks great, cuts with scissors and is easy to lay - the drawback is it's about 15$ a sheet and so far I've found that a sheet will do about one room, with scraps left over. I have however seen an extremely awesome floor made with nothing more than popsickle sticks. I was utterly amazed! Seems the trick though is to lay the floor before assembling the house so you can weight the sticks down well so they'll glue flat and then sand the heck out of em. I wish I could remember who made that floor - it was amazing!!

-David

If really pressed for $, there is always the option of using drywall mud and combing over it with a homemade comb to simulate siding. It can actually look very realistic if done with a steady hand. You can always go back and redo it over and over if you mess up,just scrape off. A giant bucket of drywall mud is only about 9$. It sands and paints very well too.