Old Salem, North Carolina

Bee

Old Salem is a preserved 18th century Moravian settlement-- sort of a modest North Carolina Williamsburg-- within the bounds of Winston-Salem, NC. When I visited it this past week I was really excited to find that a dollhouse and toy museum had been located there in the past couple of years [you can buy a separate admission for this museum only.] There were at least half a dozen large dollhouses from the 19th and early 20th centuries that were completely and elaborately furnished-- I drooled!-- plus mini antique shops and kitchens. There were two or three circuses in varying scales, and a wonderful 19th century mini zoo, as well as separate displays of dollhouse dolls, furniture and vehicles. If you are in the area this summer you might want to drop by. You seldom find antique dollhouses so "fully loaded!"

Bee

Bee, that sounds so cool. I plan on going to the Museum of Science and Industry and seeing Coleen Moors fairy castle again. This Summer we also supposed to go to the Art institute of Chicago to view the Thorne rooms (They are roomboxes in different settings).

I can't wait to go. I have not been to the Thorne rooms in ages! :blink:

I'm still sick that Flora Gill Jacobs had to close her doll & toy museum in DC & sell off everything; that was a real treat for the mini eyes! Tracy, she had one house from the turn of the century that had been electrified (roundwire, of course).

My favorite was the one from MExico with a little working elevator.

I read about the owner of this museum, or the person who started the toy and miniature part. I think it was in an old article of DHM before the new company took it over. He is descended from the Reynolds family of Reynolds Metals, and sold alot of his memoriabilia that his family had collected to finance the museum. Now, I may be incorrect, but this is what I remember.

By the way, the Guild School is having a study program with some artists in October, I believe, the deadline to register is August 1 2005. There is a tour of the museum also...all in beautiful Old Salem, NC.

Bee, you are right. Old Salem looks like a North Carolinian Williamsburg. (I have cousins in Old Salem NC, and other parts of that state! :unsure: )

Old Salem is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina-- http://www.oldsalem.org/visit/index.htm

If anyone is in this area, Winston-Salem is itself about thirty miles west of High Point, North Carolina, which has the Angela Peterson Doll and Miniatures Museum. This is one woman's lifetime collection of dolls and dollhouses (she died a few years back) and is in the same building as the Furniture Discovery Center (High Point is America's "Furniture City.") There also used to be-- may still be-- an exhibit there of the furniture Broyhill created with Concord Miniatures in 1-inch scale. The Peterson dollhouses are nothing as deluxe as the 19th century examples at Old Salem, but are still worth seeing. It is fun to look at these old dollhouses "in the flesh," and not just in the pages of a book.

Bee

Thanks Bee! It sounds like a great day trip for me and hubby! (I know, I am very lucky that he loves this kind of stuff too!) And according to what I read, it's 90 minutes from Charlotte, which is where I am.