Barbie scale

Shakyshaky

So I was thinking the other day that I would like to find a Barbie house like I had as a kid and so I looked on ebay. Well they are going for way more more than I am willing to spend so I was wondering if any of you knew the dimentions of barbie scale? Like how high the ceilings and doors are. I was thinking of making one myself. ( sometime in the distant future) I was thinking I could start some sketches now but need a place to start. Thank you. <_<

Melanie,

I just finished looking for it and can't find it but I have a book on barbie scale dollhouse stuff.. or had ugh! It's so irritating cause I just saw it last week and now can't find it hmph. But I belive barbie scale is approximately 1:6 scale or twice the size of the standard 1:12 scale. Basically 2" = 1 foot. I'm going to look for the book some more. I was really disappointed when I got it and realized it was barbie scale instead of 1" scale.

-David

Yup, Barbie scale is 2" = 1'. She's 11.5" tall, and Ken's 12" (not that anyone cares about Ken). So a modern 8' ceiling would be 16" high. But contemporary dollhouse makers cheat on the dimensions a little, to make the houses more manageable to live with. RGT's playscale line seems to commonly use 14" ceilings.

At Dollhouses, Trains, and More, I saw a dollhouse-as-end-table that might have been playscale, but it's not in their catalog, and I can't find who makes it. Greenleaf "Princess" kits show up occasionally, but they're rare.

Building one yourself is probably an excellent idea, as long as you're up for building the windows and doors, too.

I had not really thought of doors and windows. <_< I thought I saw minis.com sold playscale on the site. I will have to give that more thought.

Hydroped I would love to know more about that book when you find it. There is no rush so take your time. ;)

Melanie,

I thought I saw some Barbie Scale doors and windows on Ebay a couple of months back - I can't remember who the maker was though but it might pay to do check there every so often and see if you can find anything. About the book - I am notorious for loosing track of time so Please if you don't hear anything back from me about the book by the end of this week send me a PM and remind me to look for it again! I went through my magazine stash thinking I put it there but no - there are still a few boxes I need to go through that I might have slipped it into but like I said - Don't hessitate to drop me a reminder.

;) David

Melanie,

I found it! What do you know it was in my bookshelf lol - you'd think that would be the first place I'd have looked wouldn't you. It's called The Dollhouse Book by Estelle Ansley Worrell. I think it sells on ebay for about $3 or so but I have no plans for this book since it's of a scale I really don't want to work in (It came with the Van Buren I bought), so if you PM me your address I'll just send it to you.

-David

Just a heads up on the playscale doors, depending on your barbie how tall she is. They are a little short. Not true scale. I have one and my poor barbie will have to bend over to get in her house.

Ive also made windows out of wood picture frames that are cheep.

I belong to a barbie group and there is lots of info on this site, if you want to check it out. Great and very talented ladies.

http://groups.msn.com/thepinkboxhouse

Jenn

Thanks for the tip on the doors. I tried the link and it won't let me in. I am kinda afraid to look for any more groups. I told dh that I was not going to collect Barbies anymore. I do have some of my barbies still I was thinking it would be nice to have a place for them to live. That and my daughter's barbies want to come for a visit. ;)