Attention kit bashers! What type of plywood to expand?

shelbylominac

I have done a dry run assembly on my Beacon Hill and decided I would like to expand it by doubling the right side. I would like to recut the pieces from scratch so I'm wondering what type of plywood to use for the wall pieces and where to buy? I have a Lowe's, Michaels, A.C. Moore, and Hobbytown around here-do they carry anything I could use? Thanks! :D

I have done a dry run assembly on my Beacon Hill and decided I would like to expand it by doubling the right side. I would like to recut the pieces from scratch so I'm wondering what type of plywood to use for the wall pieces and where to buy? I have a Lowe's, Michaels, A.C. Moore, and Hobbytown around here-do they carry anything I could use? Thanks! :D

To make sure you get the right depth and type of plywood, I'd just take a piece of the plywood from the kit (scrap piece or one of the smaller pieces) to Lowes and match it that way. Home Depot and Lowes usually have a section of 2 foot by 4 foot pieces of wood (both plywood and mdf) to choose from. Most plywood comes in 8 foot sheets and if that's all they have, they'll usually cut it up into smaller pieces for you if you ask. But ask them if they have the 2x4 or 2x2 sheets available and then use your scrap to match the depth and type.

Deb

The actual kit is 1/8" luan plywood, if you want to stay consistent you could just use that, and it's cheap. It is difficult to cut though, so you want to pre-cut with a utility knife, and mask the good side before using the saw to reduce tearout on the good side of the wood.