Wiring - The Buttercup DH

sweetstina

Hello everyone! I am about to begin assembling and installing the wiring in my DH but before I do that I wanted to know what I should do first. I was reading the instructions and they specifically told me to wallpaper and paint before I put the house together. However, I was also reading on the internet that it is best to put the house together first, wire and THEN wallpaper/paint the interior. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do first. It is my first time building a DH and I do not want to screw it up! Thanks!

Hi there! The buttercup is my first as well and I had the same questions!

The assembly instructions included with the kit don't take into account that you might be wiring, so you'll want to prime all the pieces with white primer, assemble, THEN wire, THEN add your wallpaper/flooring/ceiling.

Some folks around here swear by putting in their wallpaper as separate pieces (wrapping the paper around poster board) so they can remove it easily later to get at the wiring if there's a problem. I didn't do that, but it sounds pretty smart!

Good luck, and have fun!

Thank you so much! This helps me out a lot! I did not realize that the Buttercup House did not take into account if you are wiring. Good thing you said something. I guess it is on to priming the house, huh? I would not have done that either.

So no matter what I am doing with the house (wallpaper, painting), I should primer it still???

Basic rule of thumb; anything you want to STAIN, stain it FIRST (you can always paint over stain, but you cannot stain over paint or glue). If you are planning to paint or to wallpaper, you will want to prime (I prime both sides to minimize the risk of warping).

My suggestion, put primer on the wood before putting any wall paper on. The primer will prevent the wood from absorbing the wall paper, as well as create a better surface for the paper to adhere to.

Prime, and paint all small pieces such as windows, interior doors, shutters, etc before putting them on the house. This creates a nice, neat finished look.

The others have also made some great suggestions.

I was wondering how do you prime both sides at the same time? Do you have to wait until one side dries before priming the other side of the wall?
You prime/ stain one side and let it thoroughly dry FLAT; then you turn it over to prime/ stain the other side and let that dry FLAT, too.