In the beginning ...

judithfa

I originally started at the age of about eight when Santa Claus brought me a wonderful heavy-cardboard dollhouse with lots of furniture. After I used that to shambles, my parents bought me a Keystone and lots of Renwal furniture. (I still have it, but it has a well-used look). I used these dollhouses “as is” except for making some furniture, drapes, and rugs.

My adult journey into miniatures began when my sister simply arrived one day with a kit of an RTG Alison Jr. - type dollhouse. I put it together, decided it was too small, broke it apart, bought another, and bashed the two together. I also decided it was not deep enough, so we bought plywood and added 4” to the depth as part of the bash. This house is the “original Rowbottom manse” on my website (also included -- the before and after pictures). Thus I began a kit-bashing “career” as well.

From kit bashing it was just a hop, skip, and a jump to scratch/custom building.

:blink:

I don't have any pictures but I should take some and post them. I'll have to get it from the attic. Gosh, I guess I will have to dust that house too. :blink:

:D

And then you can get the little jointed plastic people that "fit" the Renwal furniture. I went through a couple of doll families because I wore them slap out. The last time I saw any for sale they were unpainted!

I do have some of those jointed people. They really look as if they have been through the mill -- as the saying goes. One of them is the nurse doll, probably bought to care for the mess I was making out of the others :unsure:

B)

• 4 weeks later...

Behold! Renwal, including the little people. This plastic furniture dates from the 1950s. Though Renwal made cardboard rooms for the furniture, they didn't make a full dollhouse, so many people used the furniture in this T. Cohn house or in other of the larger tin litho houses.