Cable problems *#@

Peggi

Hopefully what the tech did for you today will have resolved it, but if you see it slow down again, let them know. If it's not in the network, they can send a tech out to check the lines and your modem
This quote was from 2/13.

Well, tonight my cable internet connections are at least running at the almost speed of dial up. Since 2/13 I've talked with 5 different techs on the phone, missed one that came to my home because he failed to let me know when he was coming, and talked to one that did show up but said he couldn't fix it.

The problem has been diagnosed as follows (according to which tech I talked to) 1. packet loss 2. signal loss 3. signal overload (place a filter thing on the modem) 4. areawide outage 5. bad modem

I am suppose to have a 3MB connection and my speed has ranged from 5.7 kb/s to 76 kb/s should be around 30,000kb/s. Tonight it is running around 200 kb/s. a Tech is suppose to show up tomorrow to get my "lighnting" speed up to par.

I've not posted much this week due to this download problem. (Anybody know any good hexes they could teach me?)

The company is good at protecting itself though, you have to call a 800#, wait time ranging from 30-45 minutes before you talk with a live person,and they never let you talk with a supervisor, won't give you a local # to call and will not give you an address to write to complain. They have put up so many obstacles, and the poor techs especially the last 3 have had the "magic words" let lose on them, but I'm at their mercy,cause there is no other broadband service in our area.

Good news is they have all agreed that nothing is wrong with my computer itself. So until the problem is resolved, you may see me on then off immediately cause the darn thing has lost connection.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Peggi

Vent away Peggi, coz it sounds like you've had a miserable experience. It sounds like it's a line issue and that usually requires a tech to come out and diagnose it who then escalates it to a line tech which takes between 5-10 days. Hopefully the tech that comes out tomorrow will replace your modem and put a damper on the line to tone down the signal for you. With luck, that will work and you won't have to wait for a line tech.

It's frustrating to say the least when it won't work as it should and you run into road blocks all along the way.

Deb

Update--I have high speed internet again. Of course, I had to convince the Tech to replace the modem, he was not the best in customer relations--before replacing the modem he blamed it on my being confused about having the 3Mb package, having to many firewalls, my computer was bad, (all of this because the old modem was receiving a signal and the speed was in the 200kb range) ended up having to call the main office to convince him I did have the 3Mb package and if he couldn't get my speed to the right level then someone better go back and get me a refund for the past two years that I've paid for it. After he talked to the office he replaced the modem and vola I was back up to speed. He was very belegerent until he was told that by the office that I did indeed have their best package. Then his whole attitude changed.

I'll stop complaining now thanks for letting me vent.

Peggi

Wooooooooohooooo!! Glad that you're back up to speed Peggi! They should have replaced that modem on the first visit just as a standard procedure, but the important thing is that they finally got it done. Good for you for holding you ground and making him confirm your service level instead of just guessing at it.

Wanna have broadband races now? <cackle>

Deb

We were supposedly getting a highspeed upgrade from our server, but we haven't noticed any difference. I keep hoping the cable people will make good on their threats to run service out our way, maybe we could get wi-fi.