Spooky things going on

Anya

Okay, where do I start?

My husband bought a second hand musical jewellrey box from a bric-a-brac store last year. He thought it would be nice to put in our daughters (there she is smiling in the avatar:) bedroom because she loves musical things.

Anyway I didn't like it from the moment I saw it, it looks a bit battered and quite ugly in my opinion (trust a man to buy something like that B)).

Well it stopped working about a week later and wouldn't play anymore no matter what we did so I put it in the hallway and forgot about it. This was about two or three months ago.

Now here is the spooky part. about a month ago my husband and were in bed talking about our childhood and the pranks we used to get up to (we pretty much grew up together) then my husband says "It's funny talking about memories" and the music box starts to play. At first I thought it was one of my daughter's toys but as I listened to the tune it was that old thing in the hallway :D. Ok so you might be thinking 'big deal it's a faulty old box', but the tune that it plays is called 'memories' or 'The way we were'. I do know that the original is sang by Barbara Streisand.

Last week we were in bed again and we were talking about how rubbish school was growing up and then the box starts to play again. Every time we talk about our childhood in bed the box plays. Why I don't know but it's weird.

The first day the box started playing we had 3 very short power cuts (about a 30 seconds long) and we couldn't find the cause, so put it down to 'one of those things'. I don't know if that is linked to this box but I really don't know what to do with it. My husband has said it is creepy so I know it's not just me as I like to remain skeptical, but this box is genuinely strange.

Is it too far fetched to think it could be haunted. :)

I;ve had odd things like that happen alot. When I lived in my old house, that I rented from my parents, (it was an old 80 yr. old house that had had a fire in the kitchen, we re-did it) I had a stuffed frog that had batteries in it and would ribbit.

Well, the batteries soon gave out and I took them out so it would corode in the frog--he was a cute stuffed piece that I liked to have sit about. One night he began to RIBBIT! :) with no batteries! B) Don't know if the house was haunted or not, it never really bothered me--though I will admit every time I was on the phone, I would hear someone ...or something...sound like they were jumping on the stairs. I just figured it was the house was very old, and settling, or the cat....but I don't think a cat could make that much noise.

That's really interesting. Have you tried taking the box apart to see if something is wrong with the musical mechanism? I did that with the frog, but no such luck.. :D

Me too. I have had no luck either. The movement is actually broken so I can't figure out how it plays. Put it this way, it never plays smoothly if you wind it up or try to force it. It will just play if you talk about the past.

I cannot figure it out. :)

Interesting about your frog what happened to it?

I;ve had odd things like that happen alot. When I lived in my old house, that I rented from my parents, (it was an old 80 yr. old house that had had a fire in the kitchen, we re-did it) I had a stuffed frog that had batteries in it and would ribbit.

Well, the batteries soon gave out and I took them out so it would corode in the frog--he was a cute stuffed piece that I liked to have sit about. One night he began to RIBBIT! B)  with no batteries!  :D Don't know if the house was haunted or not, it never really bothered me--though I will admit every time I was on the phone, I would hear someone ...or something...sound like they were jumping on the stairs. I just figured it was the house was very old, and settling, or the cat....but I don't think a cat could make that much noise.

That's really interesting. Have you tried taking the box apart to see if something is wrong with the musical mechanism? I did that with the frog, but no such luck.. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Things going bump in the night! :)

I learned to live with the weird noises, and put alot of it down to my cat--and I also worked shift work at that time, so wasn't home much. But older houses make alot of settling noises that do sound a little creepy.

The frog going RIBBIT! I can't really explain....it's just one of those..........

UNSOLVED MYSTERIES! B)

Maybe we should go on Most Haunted (English supernatural programme). You with your frog and me with my weird box. God knows what would happen. Your frog would start singing memories and my box would start croaking. :)

You could also try that tv show on SciFi called Ghost Hunters. They are based near me in Warwick, RI but they go all over the country.

I dont know if I believe or not. My dad claimed that he could see ghosts and whenever someone was planning on moving into a new place he would come over first before the purchased or signed a lease to see how he felt.

My only brush with the paranormal (please let it be the only one!) was when my hubby and i went to a community open house thing. Alot of houses were open on the same day in our town. Well we walk into this beautiful house and the realtor was on the phone and told us to look around.

Everything was fine until I got to the staircase to go upstairs. I got a weird feeling. When i went upstairs I kept feeling weird and got the feeling that I might actually SEE something if i continued to stay there.

Well, hubby was waiting by the backdoor and said "Let`s get the heck out of here, i dont like it!" He felt the same way upstairs.

We both had simultanious (sp?) Heeby Jeebies! And both of us were not together when we went upstairs.

Creepy!!

I wouldn't worry about it, if it's just coincidence then that's the end of it. If it is haunted, not sure I believe in ghosts, then it would seem to be a friendly spirit.

BTW, Memories is by Elvis (a-huh-huh), The Way We Were (I think the song is actually called Evergreen, though I could be wrong there) is by Baba Streisand.

• 4 weeks later...

The song is 'The way we were'. By streisand. I found out for certain.

Unfortunately my daughter got hold of the music box and er kicked it :) and all the little drawers fell out.

It didn't play and now the drawers have gone missing. I think my daughter has put them in her toy box.

I think if that box is/was haunted the spirit has definitely moved on now.

Ghost Hunters is fabulous. Most Haunted is so bad and I'm so addicted to it. Did you see the halloween live versions? They lasted like 4 hours each night and totally screwed up my tivo but so, so worth it.

~Jenny

My dh rolls his eyes at me when i put on Most haunted. I say " Let`s get a laugh" "Ooo! Look at Derek, he senses something!"

Dh leaves the room. He tells me waste of electricity. I love it. Another one is that show on Biography channel with the blonde guy and blonde girl (she is bald now cause of chemo), and she is skeptic and he is ummm strange. Love that one too.

My dh rolls his eyes at me when i put on Most haunted. I say " Let`s get a laugh" "Ooo! Look at Derek, he senses something!"

Dh leaves the room. He tells me waste of electricity. I love it.

My dh can't stand it either. He tries to delete it from my Tivo when I'm not looking. It's so bad it's simply hilarious! How can you not love it?

My dh can't stand it either. He tries to delete it from my Tivo when I'm not looking. It's so bad it's simply hilarious! How can you not love it?

I haven't seen most haunted for ages. Have they actually filmed anything spooky on camera.

I'm not sure if I believe in Derek. He is too funny. My god I watched one episode where he and the rest of the cre became possessed. I was laughing so much I was crying.

Bit it is a good show.

I haven't seen most haunted for ages. Have they actually filmed anything spooky on camera.

I'm not sure if I believe in Derek. He is too funny. My god I watched one episode where he and the rest of the cre became possessed. I was laughing so much I was crying.

Bit it is a good show.

You never SEE anything spooky. You only HEAR something spooky. And Yvette and her big moon eyes. :D

ROFL. Did you hear that? "no yvette we didnt hear anything." I heard something. I heard something. LOL

We scream at the tv, Move the camera, we dont want to look at your faces!

You never SEE anything spooky. You only HEAR something spooky. And Yvette and her big moon eyes. :D

ROFL. Did you hear that? "no yvette we didnt hear anything." I heard something. I heard something. LOL

We scream at the tv, Move the camera, we dont want to look at your faces!

Hehehe. Yes you'd think if they want you to believe them they'd make more of an effort. :lol:

I live in a 102 yr old colonial house in CT. I know it is exactly that old because i had it researched and got a plaque from New London Historical Society.

I believe that it is possible that there could be something in this house other than us. I mean there was alot of living going on here b4 we came along.

I will put something down and it isnt there but somewhere else. Dh and I would swear the tv wasnt on when we went to bed but it is when we wake up.

Eh! It is either a ghost or early onset of Alzheimers. If there is a spirit they could do me a HUGE fav and wash the dishes once in awhile!

I live in a 102 yr old colonial house in CT. I know it is exactly that old because i had it researched and got a plaque from New London Historical Society.

I believe that it is possible that there could be something in this house other than us. I mean there was alot of living going on here b4 we came along.

I will put something down and it isnt there but somewhere else. Dh and I would swear the tv wasnt on when we went to bed but it is when we wake up.

Eh! It is either a ghost or early onset of Alzheimers. If there is a spirit they could do me a HUGE fav and wash the dishes once in awhile!

Funny how ghosts never do what you want them to do. They are a bit like husbands really but not as messy.. :(

I'd say if they both start misplacing things and moaning too much, get them both exorcised.

Okay this is not funny. I think we stirred something up with all this spook talk!

Chelsea`s toothbrush is missing and Nat swears she didnt hide it.

And I cannot find my Xacto knife anywhere! It was right next to the house. On a big table. If the cat knocked it down, I would see it.

Where is an exorcist when you need one?

I'm telling you , it's your husband, either that or a ghost who's got it in for him. :)

I think an exorcist would be more terrified if he saw the state of my husbands room than a ghost.

Okay this is not funny. I think we stirred something up with all this spook talk!

Chelsea`s toothbrush is missing and Nat swears she didnt hide it.

And I cannot find my Xacto knife anywhere! It was right next to the house. On a big table. If the cat knocked it down, I would see it.

Where is an exorcist when you need one?